Help my Fly River Turtle--Is this Shell Rot/Fungal Infections?

AroW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Lightspeed
Pictures attached. Turtle is still eating well and swimming. I was told that it appeared more or less "suddenly". Never had any disease before even as a baby. The only suspect I can think of are
1. Pleco sucking on it (they have coexisted for years however
2. It got spooked and injured itself one night
3. Fungal infection. Water parameters check out however.

What does my FRT have and how do I treat it? I have raised it for the longest time and do not want to lose it.

Thanks! :)

Note: Affected areas are under the head and on top of the shell. The turtle is not with me at the moment and these are the clearest pictures I could get.

frt1.jpg

frt2.jpg

frt3.jpg

frt4.jpg

frt5.jpg

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
1. Pleco sucking on it (they have coexisted for years however)

Plecos can still turn on you at any given moment. Thou from the pics it doesnt look like a pleco attack, when plecos do turn the injuries are usually round and in the shape of their mouths.

2. It got spooked and injured itself one night

Doubtful, whats your decor?

3. Fungal infection. Water parameters check out however.

What are your water numbers? ph? It looks to me like a fungal or bacterial infection. My FRT once had it and I aggressively treated it through dips and such.

One thing to be VERY careful of is to watch out if it spreads to its nose, once there it can very easily get its nostrils closed and drown. If I were you I would start by doing a several small water changes....

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
all_or_nothin;2783665; said:
what size tank and what kind of turtle is that? its fiins look like a sea turtle's fins
It's a Fly River Turtle...you know, like the post title says....

Jfitz

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Montreal
andyjs;2783805; said:
It's a Fly River Turtle...you know, like the post title says....
he probly didnt know what an frt was... and you still haven't given the tank size.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
evilxyardxgnome;2783841; said:
What an odd combo. Goldfish, some sort of carp, a snook, and a dat as well as the FRT.
Don't forget the pleco, what looks like a pim, maybe a silver dollar?, some barbs, bala shark, and a bichir...

AroW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Lightspeed
Thanks Gr8! Yes, the mixture of fish is a bit odd at the moment, but it is what it is for now. Everybody gets along well though.

Schmike

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Singapore
looks like some scratches to me. can't confirm since the pics are not very clear.

by the way, those gravels dont look safe for a FRT to me. the chin might be due to some infection on closer look. could be caused by some bacteria thriving in the gravel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store