breeding yellow tail acei

Gazza

Feeder Fish
Mar 25, 2008
Ireland
After reading through many cichlid forums i read how easy it is to breed these cichlids. I have 5 in my 60 gal tank 1 male and 4 females but cannot get them to spawn. what temp should should the water temp be and also at what size do they normally start to breed at....

flamer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
NC
www.youtube.com
how big are they? They usually breed at about 2-3 inches, the ph needs to be sround 8.0ish, the temp. around 78*F. anything else?

roombo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
Aberdeen NJ USA
do they show any signs? wiggling tails and stuff

Ben08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Enon .OHiO
If you use moon lights,they breed rapidly and often.

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
I have trouble with mine as well. I see them shaking and trying to lure females to a flat rock but still no breeding. Are there other fish in the tank? I have come to the conclusion that my other fish are stopping them.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
ash54876;2810714; said:
I have trouble with mine as well. I see them shaking and trying to lure females to a flat rock but still no breeding. Are there other fish in the tank? I have come to the conclusion that my other fish are stopping them.
Very possible. Mine breed upon occasion. But there is a lot going on in my tank. Every now and then I see a female holding, but they don't make it in that crowded place.

Super Turtleman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
Just give them time. Once they start you'll be overrun. I had 2 Acei just give me over 100 fry.

greenearthlawns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Danville, NH
As long as their arent too many very agressive fish in their like zebras they should do fine! My africans started breeding when the male reached 4 in. and females at around 2.5-3 in. I had them for 8 months before they started and what helped was having the ph at 8.2 and temp at 79-82. also flat rocks and sand so they can dig pits which seems to put them in the mood lol If they are determined eonough they will succeed even with the other fish in the tank trying to disrupt them it happens all the time in my tank... good luck that is a nice type to breed!

Blue2Fyre

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
It's kind of funny that I posted here that I had given up on my acei breeding. This morning one of my females was holding XD

I guess give them the right conditions and a bit of time and it will happen :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store