Lepisosteidae.net

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
...for gar enthusiasts and anyone interested in gar research, etc.

http://www.lepisosteidae.net

this site will be continuously updated and have a more research/conservation/scientific focus than primitivefishes.com, but may be something gar folks here may want to check out.--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
very nice sol! will definately been keeping track of that site. i'm glad to see spotted and florida gar finally have different illustrations

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
thanks for taking interest guys, this has been a long time coming in terms of necessity...we'll have more info up in the next week or two for sure.

the illustrations are done by a University of Michigan alum, emily damstra, and she was kind enough to let me use her prints for the site (she's done biological illustrations for many different publications). i have more illustrations that will be added soon as well. the differences between Florida and spotted gar are somewhat drastic in these illustrations, and don't necessarily represent ALL individuals...but you can see some traits coming through such as longer snout and stockier body...of course, this holds true primarily with wild specimens.

if you're interested in getting prints of those gars, visit her site...she has several other fishes as well (including bowfin).

we'll eventually have an email list set up for updates, etc etc too--
--solomon

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
interesting site sol.
i will be following it...
so the few key differences between WILD florida and spotted gar are the snout thickness and girth?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Looks like a good project. I'll keep an eye.

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
Looks interesting, good looking out.

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
Great site...if donation to keep the site up ever come up into discussion, please let me contribute. You're doing a wonderful job to educate the masses.

stan

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
love it solomon..... great job

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store