ideal diet

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
What do you consider the ideal diet for gar? I have a 13" tropical that is eating pellets. Any recommendations on brand/type of pellet and supplemental diet to make it ideal. Thanks

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
msjinkzd;2809747; said:
What do you consider the ideal diet for gar? I have a 13" tropical that is eating pellets. Any recommendations on brand/type of pellet and supplemental diet to make it ideal. Thanks
i think you had mentioned they were on massivore...that is definitely a high-quality pellet, so i would stick with that if it fits the budget. you can also mix things up with frozen (thawed when feeding) shrimp, tilapia, and smelt from the grocery store...i feed those as staples, and pellets occasionally...especially since only a select group of my gars will take pellets. hope that helps, good luck--
--solomon

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
I feed my gator Hikaki Cichlid Gold the large size pellet of course and he loves them.
I would stick to a largely pellet diet if your gar will take them, stick to the kind that has about 40% protein and you can't go wrong.
Supplementing for variety is great but not always necessary with a high quality pellet.
My gar has grown from 5inches to 20 since September last year on Hikari gold pellets only and he is very fat, happy and health.
He lives with a Leichardti a Petenia Splendia and 3 large Gibbiceps very happily.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
zip it pro!

He is on massivore, which I have no problem feeding. I just wasn't sure if hte fat content was an issue. He doesn't seem to want to eat cichlid gold, I mix that in with it. Just wanted to make sure his dietary needs were being met. I do drop in market shrimp from time to time, but he really prefers the massivore.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
lucky
my gar still refuses to take any but live

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
E_americanus;2809800; said:
i think you had mentioned they were on massivore...that is definitely a high-quality pellet, so i would stick with that if it fits the budget. you can also mix things up with frozen (thawed when feeding) shrimp, tilapia, and smelt from the grocery store...i feed those as staples, and pellets occasionally...especially since only a select group of my gars will take pellets. hope that helps, good luck--
--solomon
agreed...
a varied diet is the best diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store