lighting for dats....

JlOlHlNl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Sacramento
just set up a new tank today and not sure if the light is too bright or not for Dats. not sure what kind of lighting it is. just bought it from craigslist for $90 any suggestions? let me know..

the demension on the tank is 60"L x 24"H x12"W and running on a Fluval 404...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm sure some will disagree,but unless the room that the tank is in is completely dark then the surrounding light should suffice.I rarely turn my tank lights on.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You're welcome.

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
Yeah, lately I have noticed that my dats hate the light. I have very low lighting on my tank and they still go hide and turn dark whenever it's on. If it's just sunlight or even the (very bright) overhead room light, they come out and are social. It's weird because they weren't always like this. But now I'm glad I have them in a room that gets a lot of light so I don't have to have the tank light on much.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
And its better on your bill in these tough times.

christ4paul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
my first batch loved the lights but the ones i have now they hate it. so im thinking about getting something alittle dim.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
My Dats are definately light sensitive, well, they used to be :).
Its taken 8 months for my DATS to stay stable with tank lights on. I used only a 2 foot flourescent tube for this time. Lights on timer and ONLY feed with lights on.
Now I occasionally turn on the 4 ft floures tube so I can see my tigers display in bright light conditions, ....the tigers have slowly adapted, so stay relatively stable even in this brighter light. Now say 8 months ago, as soon as the 4 ft light went on , my dats would go dark and lay on their sides.

In summer, when I dont always use the tank light as much, my tigers can look equally as good with natural room light levels.

Some peop have the patence to try diff stuff with dats. If u dont wanna wait, just keep reducing bulb wattage, until the right level of subdued lighting is achieved (for the dats)

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
JlOlHlNl;2809833; said:
just set up a new tank today and not sure if the light is too bright or not for Dats. not sure what kind of lighting it is. just bought it from craigslist for $90 any suggestions? let me know..

the demension on the tank is 60"L x 24"H x12"W and running on a Fluval 404...
Forgot to mention, u may want to upgrade filtration. If your getting Tigers, that 405 wont be enough in the long run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store