Thinking of adding a few more fish to the tank

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
I'm posting this in the dats section only because dats outnumber everything else in the tank and since you guys always seem to have good ideas.

I have a tall 72" tank and the upper 2/3s is generally bare. On one side I have some oversized fake plants so that occupies the space, but the entire right side is usually just empty. I have the filtration so I'm thinking of adding a medium sized fish or two that is more of a mid-tank open water dweller. I know something like an Oscar would work but I don't really want a cichlid. I could be convinced otherwise if something like a Severum would be the ideal fit.

Currently in the tank are 5 IT dats, with the largest being about 6" (The others are much smaller), a 14" Distichodus Lussoso (King of the tank and occasionally ornery but not a huge jerk), a 4" Distichodus Sexfaciatus (chases the dats but playfully, doesn't nip fins), 3 large Bala Sharks. A silver Aro will eventually patrol the top area once he's large enough, but that won't be for several months. The bala sharks are middle dwellers but spend most of their time clustered over on one side. The dats hide a lot unless I come right to the glass, in which case they're very social. Of course. Unless the main tank light is on. They hate the light.

I'm looking for something that won't be too mean, but is tough enough to stand up to the distichoduses or at least not be spooked by the big one, and will hang out in the open areas of the tank when the lights are on. It has to be big enough that the dats (and eventual Aro) won't eat it. Any fun ideas?

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
One option is that I have a pair of Rainbows still hanging around in another tank that I'm gradually converting to all South American. I could give them a shot. They're active and might possibly occupy the smaller distichodus. I worry that he'd get a bit too feisty with them though. Something a bit less active might be better. I can always give these rainbows to my cousin.

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
I have seen a few pikes that I liked, even a pair for sale on here once... this cool red and white guy. Heard they were mean and they looked like they hung out closer to the bottom so I didn't inquire. I don't really know anything about them but if they fit the bill that's good.

I moved the rainbows after I typed that reply... that was a bad idea. I failed to mention that there's also a distichodus affinis in there (I bought him cause he had been at the store for ages, plus I obviously have a thing for distichoduses). He's little and harmless... but the rainbows are his size. The lussoso made one initial nip at one and left them alone. But the Affinis latched right on to their butts and nipped off half their tails. That bastard! So they're now removed and getting melafix to see about growing the tails back. I immediately regretted that decision. (The SA tank is much less cluttered now though so I do think I need to give them to my cousin.)

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
:DThats a tall tank mate...Your dats, once big enough, say over 7 inch, should start to come out more and display with more confidence.
I know you mentioned you dont like cihclids, but why not try a shoal of frontosa, the rarer type, like Zaire Blues.? As a show fish, can be as impressive looking as some ST's (IMO).

Maybe:
Flagtail
Archerfish

ANother really nice fish I saw, were the rarer type of tinfoil barbs, those with the red fins with black stripes on the fins. Much richer in silver colour also, than normal tin foils. Get quite big, and looked really good in a shoal.

Keep us posted on your new additons...

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
Heh, it's not 72" tall. It's just taller than a 125. 28" deep or so.

I thought about a flagtail but I suspect that the lussoso might hate him. Then again I can probably say that about any fish. That is one of the leaders though. I'd prefer a larger fish or two to a shoal of something, as I worry that a shoal might be too busy.

As I lay here right now in bed (awake way too early) with just the natural light in the room, the tank is not in need of anything. The dats are out (until a few minutes ago they were hunting - the last remaining giant danio was not welcomed back to the tank he once inhabited without issue... so much for that idea), the balas are darting around, and the two catfish are doing their dance in the top 3rd of the tank. It's mainly in the evenings that I feel it could use more.

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
Dave, Glad hear the tank is doing well. How about some new pics? A large flagtail might be nice in there.

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
i personally have kept 2 pikes in my tank. the first one i had the dempsey kept him in check so he was very timid. the second my 14" oscar kept him in check, till i got rid of the oscar. then he went balistic on the rest of my tank. i finally got rid of him when he kept biting at my gold nugget pleco. but i would recommend a birchir. i have a NTT datnoid(had 5 at one time with 2 IT's and 2 AT's), Ornate birchir, Jardini, royal pleco, gold nugget pleco, and 2 mating JD's that will soon be moved. i am going to add another datnoid and a Delhezi birchir to the tank.

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
I actually started thinking about a Bichir recently. They finally started to grow on me, looks-wise. I kind of assumed they were bottom dwellers though. What is their behavior/personality like? I have no idea.

Hey Ed, yeah I am definitely going to seriously consider a flagtail. I thought of you when that was mentioned because as I recall you had one in with the Lussoso and the dats.

I'll try to get some decent pics of your old friend today. Sometimes I feel guilty about putting him in a smaller tank than what he had. But I'll know soon enough whether we're going to buy this summer or wait another year. If it's this summer, he'll be in one of these by winter.

Here's a crappy full tank shot. You can see the big empty area I'm talking about. Everyone huddles in the left third by the tree and there's a ton of swimming space open on the right.

DSCN1950.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store