The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
thank you for da info and this should be a sticky

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
hey include earthworm thats there favorite mines go freaken crazy like it turns super agressive lol!

sodenoshirayuki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Toronto
earthworms are nightcrawlers. This is why i hate this. I use to think everyone knew what an earthworm was until some guy kept going on about how there are million types of earthworms so I changed to calling them nightcrawlers. Now people are telling me to call them earthworms lmfaoo.

sodenoshirayuki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Toronto
As i said, this is only the basics so centipedes and geekos were not included. Also, cockraoches are not something that most people want to touch or be near at all. You guys can suggest other foods, but I'm planning to just keep this as basic as possible. I just want this to be a basic outline/guide to what you can feed, not everything that you can feed to your aro.

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
Looks good to me! And a great idea!
Here's what I do.....feel free to add what you like.;)

I am a firm believer that variety is best. Every feeding night( every other night for me) they get something different....I rotate through a variety of food. This way there is no favourites, and a surprise every time:D. This is what I fed my fatty's:
Whole gutted trout(steelhead, rainbow), salmon( Pink, Atlantic, or whats on sale), this is cut up into small cubes - less the spine and fins, but the skin and small softer bones stay. Smelts and mackerel whole thing cut into smaller pieces guts included. Fillets of pike, walleye, catfish, tuna, tipilia, snapper, etc....cubed up. I also will feed well trimmed pork and chicken breast, mealworms(dead), prawns and shrimp tails and heads removed. After I go fish food shopping I wash everything very well and cut and cube, I then put meal size portions into ziplocks and freeze until needed, thawing out at room temp. At feeding time I'll use a steak knife I open a pocket on each piece and insert New Life Spectrum pellets 6mm thera A or wafers.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
sodenoshirayuki;2813234; said:
To Boydo, Koji, King-el, and Bderick: if you guys read this, please let me know if theres anything i need to add/take off or change. Thanks.
Looks good, a high quality flake food can also be fed to the baby SA aros. Just pick one of the Mods and PM them they can edit your original post.

AU_Arowana-RG

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cebu, Phillipines
Don't know if this would matter much, but I'd just like to say something that reinforces just how bad it is to feed your Aros fish fillets that aren't fresh. I made a thread about this a few weeks back.

Back at 02, I had a nice 11 inch Silver Arowana that was growing well and behaving normally. This, however, only lasted about 6-9 months? Why? It died unexpectedly. I was caught up in grief over losing it that I didn't try to think on how it died. I was a 11 year old kid back then. And now, as I recall from before it died, it was fed with tuna sashimi that was LEFTOVER from the previous night's dinner. And after verifying it here, it must have been the sashimi that killed the Aro. This happened before back in 2000 or 1999 (Sorry, forgot the exacts) with two Silver Aros my mom kept. They were fed Sashimi and died shortly after.

Hope this helps show that feeding fish with fillets that are not fresh is utterly bad for them.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Wow great job sodenoshirayuki! This will definitely help newbie aro keepers.

I would also not encourage people feeding aros or any other fish with cockroaches, especially that were caught at home. Some cockroaches are immune to chemicals that people tried to kill them and might still be carrying them. It could kill your aro. They might be also carrying deadly disease that you might get as well.

I will also not to feed aros with fatty food as I noticed back in my early days on keeping aros, that they developed drop eye on the early age. However a captive breed silver aro will still develop this, but atleast it was kept to a minimal if not feed with fatty foods.

For those who feed them with mealworms, superworms or crikets. Make sure that mealworms, superworms or crikets were feed with carrots or any food that contain carotene. This will help your arowan to absorb the carotene from carrots that the mealworms, superworms or crikets ate.

Some people like to feed them with feeders, although it's not recommended. Just make sure that they are healthy and parasite free. I would stay away from feeders goldfish as they are fatty fish.

sodenoshirayuki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Toronto
H]-[H;2819902; said:
I feed my aro superworms as staple food.. :)
I really wouldn't use mealworms as a staple. Id feed it more commonly than other foods, but they lack the nutrients to be a staple food staple.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store