Dat/Loach Compatibility

BRYANT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2008
HU$$$TLIN
A few months back I put in 10x 3-4" clown loaches in my main tank. The next day they were all gone due to my 7" indo eating all of them. The loaches were basically half the body length of the indo. I have a 7-8" loach right now in my main. I may pick up a 14-15" indo. Will the indo possibly eat the loach? I'm leaning towards yes and easily right? :nilly::popcorn:

JL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
Warm waters
Hmm, never had problems like that. I have 5 5.5-7" Indo's w/ 6 1.5-3" CL's and they get along just fine.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Unlucky bro. Many dat ownerskeeps loaches with tigers, no probs.

I have 11 tigers, biggest say 10 inch. Also in tank is 2 loaches, say 3 and 5 inch. No problems ever.

But if worried, either move the "killer IT", or forget about more loaches, as they will surely get eaten again by the same fish. I doubt any of your other tigers have shown any interest, i also doubt the new 15 inch IT will have a go.

I think your 7 inch IT has retained his predatory instincts for live fish/loach, unlike your other tigers in the tank.

Ians aro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
word...i've never had a problem with my cl's and any of my dats or other fish for that matter. surprised that the dat is still ok. clown loaches usually have those splines near their eyes and can seriously puncture stuff.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I bought 2 3 1/2inches clowns and had them in my tank and my 9inch NTT was trying to eat them so i pulled them out. Maybe it just depends on the fish itself and what it feels like it wants to eat.

PRIDE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2009
California
i think maybe you should put the loaches big enough to live in the tank with the dat also have alot of hiding place for the loaches then they would be fine.

janzal3

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Maryland
I've always kept clown loaches with tigers and even large cichlids with no problems. For some reason they just never messed with the loaches. No stalking or chasing. I always thought it must have been instinctive, because of the loaches nasty spines that can and will get lodged in a fishes throat. The only fish that I have ever had try to eat a clown loach was a chinese perch and it cost him it's life. The loach also died.

janzal3

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Maryland
The perch was close to 12 inches and the loach was about 4 or 5 inches. It was clearly lodged in it's throat. You could see the spines that are located underneath it's eyes sticking out, keeping it from getting swallowed. That was the only Chinese perch I have ever had. It had to be one of the fastest growing fish that I have ever had too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store