GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
hi all,
I've just bought my new gars, 2 of them, about 5" each,
I am wondering, how many times in a day should I feed them?,
I only will give them small fishes, should I give them something else too?
thanks guys

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
give them whatever else they will except. try to get on pellots and prepaired foods as soon as possible

Gator

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
Ohio
sites.google.com
Feed them as much as they will eat. I kept my grow out tank full of feeders so my Longnose could eat whenever he was hungry. I didn't try to get him off feeders till he was about 12" which shouldn't take long as long as you keep the water in good condition which for me was partial water changes almost every day. If they will accept prepared foods without starving them then that would be great but still keep the feeders in there so they can eat when they want.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
thanks guys,
this maybe a silly question, I know that gars can grow to a certain meter, but I personally prefer to have them in a smaller size, and so, is there a way to slow down their growth?will pellots affect their growth?I heard that the size of the aquarium can as well affect their growth/size, is this true?

famous323

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2008
LONG BEACH, CA
Bsixxx;2814898; said:
give them whatever else they will except. try to get on pellots and prepaired foods as soon as possible
^ i concur

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
If you stunt them or try to stunt them they will die. 180G 6x2x2 minimum for adult FL/Sp which I assume they are.

Gator

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
Ohio
sites.google.com
GarNiac;2818372; said:
thanks guys,
this maybe a silly question, I know that gars can grow to a certain meter, but I personally prefer to have them in a smaller size, and so, is there a way to slow down their growth?will pellots affect their growth?I heard that the size of the aquarium can as well affect their growth/size, is this true?
Yeah it will, thats called stunting and its bad for any fish and you'll get flamed pretty hard here for that so I'd advise not doing it and if you do keep it to yourself or your going to get some pretty nasty negative responses. If you wanted a smaller fish you should have bought one that doesn't get big.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
with a florida gar only expect 24" in a life time.
You will be lucky to get it that big

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store