Rivermuds Test Tank

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Ok, I promised pictures and I will deliver. Sadly it will have to be later this evening. Work has decided that I need to be here more often and I don't have the ability to disagree with them. Anyway, on to the project!!

Ok, this project was initially meant to be a proving test for Ames sealing products. However Ames is no longer readily available in most store and is not a cost effective method to seal an aquarium for that reason. I had already purchased the wood so it was inevitable that I was building a tank. So I went shopping around for products to use for sealing the aquarium that were inexpensive and readily available. I'm not one for ordering a lot of product online so this had to be something I could go to a local supplier for.

At first it seemed I was destined to use a very expensive 2 part epoxy made for pools. I suppose expensive is a relative term but it was more than I wanted to spend. Now this is a proven product and thus would be of very little interest to the forum and you'd never have heard another thing from me on it. However I wasn't deterred in my search. There was bound to be a less expensive alternative. I decided to pop into my local Sherwin Williams supply. I spent the better part of an hour chatting with the sales rep. He seemed to get a kick out of the idea of building a tank out of wood. Funny how people react when you tell them you are making an aquarium out of wood. Someone should really start a picture thread of people faces as they react to the idea. Anyway, back to the story... We got to talking about different epoxies and coatings. He was actually very knowledgeable and talked at great length about potable water epoxies vs other types. He even related a story about Shamu and how they (Sherwin Williams) nearly killed Shamu when they coated the aquarium with the wrong epoxy.

He explained to me that potable water epoxies are generally White or Clear and can be dyed pastel colors. I asked why darker colors could not be used and he explained that the darker colors leech and could not be called potable for that reason. Made sense but it also alarmed me considering the color of a lot of our tank epoxies. I figure the color leech is probably not a great concern. Anyway... We got to talking about different epoxies that I could use and all of them we over $100. Then he had an inspiration, a two part epoxy for small bathroom and kitchen projects. The epoxy is meant to mimic tile or porcelain when dry. (it does) It was only 40 bucks and was meant to cover 80 square feet. MORE than enough I thought at the time...

So I get it back to the house and begin assembly. This is a small tank compared to the true monsters here but it's good for a test project. The tank is 100 gallons... well 99.something... It's made from a single sheet of Plywood which makes it ideal imho. We assembled the tank while I growled and griped about the lumberyards cutting prowess. The lumber yard foreman assured me the cuts would be accurate. he wanted to use one of those pull saws you see at the Dumpster or Lowes. I've had bad experiences with those saws and told him as much. He said it was due to the user, not the saw and assured me that it would be fine. I agreed and they cut the wood. Upon assembly i found the pieces to be off or skewed. Thankfully the tank could be assembled to have the problems be on the lip side and shaved down.

When we cut the opening for the glass we began to seal the tank. Let me tell you right now, this stuff is super thin and watery when mixed. The good part however is that it doesn't set for a long long time (ten plus hours to be more specific) this meant we could do multiple coats without having to guestimate coverage with each batch. Simply mix it all up and go. right away however there was a concern. The wood absorbed it BIG TIME. Nearly half of the mix was gone in the first coat and you could still see the wood texture and slight color through the coat. the second coat was MUCH better however and Took only half as much product and began to look like porcelain. There sadly was not enough for an entire third coat. This leads me to the sad realization that I need to buy another batch and finish everything up. This also does not do well with cracks or corner areas. I'll be sealing the corners with silicone. At 80 dollars for the sealant i am not unhappy. It could have been much worse. I could have gone cheaper and done fiberglass but unless you are doing the marine resin with it, it's not all that great. I'll post pictures this evening and reveal the name of the product at that time since for the life of me I cannot remember it now.

TheFishJunky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Jersey
good luck man I hope this all works out for you.question:when dry it will continue to accept more coats and still gain strength or can it possibly weaken the strength?That kinda sucks that you ran out and still need more but thats how things always go dont they?

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
the instructions state that when applying coats after the product has dried to do a quick sanding of the area. This is part of the main instructions on the box so i am assuming it's quite a common practice to coat then dry then recoat.. crossing fingers.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

The peanut gallery wants to know when the pictures are going to show up??? :D

Gene0514

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Staten Island, NY
Good Luck!!

Don't forget pics! :D

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Ok, as promised.. PICTURES!!!!!:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2

Initial Construction
100_3317.JPG

Clamps and the incentive program...
100_3320.JPG

Gratuitous Bike Picture.. friend in foreground threatening to backhand me for taking pictures..
100_3322.JPG

More construction pictures.. I must say having a nice set of horses and proper clamps and tools makes doing this sooo much easier.
100_3323.JPG

We used a RotoZip to cut the window. What a great tool. I am definitely buying one for myself. We use a straight edge clamped to the tank to guide the tool. This made cutting the window out a breeze as well as clean. Never again will I be stuck with a jig saw. Oh yeah, and the incentive program again..
100_3325.JPG

Ahh Finally, on to the waterproofing. This of course is why you are all tuning in. The poduct is called XIM Tile Doc.
100_3326.JPG

Close-up - This stuff is $40 at my local paint store. I'll need 2 can's and probably three if I make a canopy. I love the glossy white for the canopy. I'll be making a wrap around BG to the white will not wash everything out.
100_3335.JPG

As you can see the first coat was absorbed BIG TIME. The next coat really took well. Had I known I would have asked if there was a primer that I could use prior to applying the epoxy. I'll be checking on this when I go back to the paint store.
100_3328.JPG

These two images were taken this morning before heading to work for my lovely mandatory overtime. As you can see the coverage got better. This is after 2 and a half coats. I'd like to have 4 coats. When I am done with coating I will silicone all the corners. I did paint the brace, it's just not pictures here. This stuff was still tacky this morning, even to the point of almost wet, so it is very easy to work with over time. However it does have a long cure time.. though no worse than regular epoxy.. 72 hours before use.
100_3330.JPG
100_3332.JPG

I'll be working on the background while I wait to finish the tank. Things are in a holding pattern due to the massive hours at work this week. I'll be able to continue on the tank on Thursday. So I am open for suggestions on the background. I'd like to do a South American theme so I'm hoping to avoid concrete.. either way though I'll probably have to seal whatever I choose to use. Ideas are welcome for decor. I'll go into filtration later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store