New tankmate for my Gar

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Ive been looking at getting more fish in my 120g tank for a couple years. The only problem is what most of you have a hard time with. Finding a fish larger enough to live with your current large fish.
What I have: 15" Gar (Spotted or Florida, Pretty sure it's a Spotted)
10" Ornate Bichir
I visit the 2 local pet store couple times a month, and there's nothing ever large enough besides Oscars that would work with my fish. I really want another gar, but all I find is 6" or less.
My visit to the pet store today was different. I actually found a Datnoid, and fairly good size too. It's about five inches. They said they have had him for 6 months, survived their store relocation, and have become kind've they're pet store pet, but since I know the owner, he said he'd let me take for $40. They said he's been growing faster than any datnoid in the past, and he eats like a pig. I put money down on it, so I can get one of my tanks ready and pick it up later. Plan on putting it in a 55g until he's big enough to put in with the Gar. My question is, how big should he be until he would be less prone to be attacked by my Gar?

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Depends on your gar. If I had a 5" dat I could put it in with my gar (18" Florida) right now. I doubt he could actually eat the dat now, but if he's the type to take a snap at tankmates he can't eat I'd hold off until the dat is maybe 9-10" or so.

BTW $40 for a dat that size is pretty good, nice pickup.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
If you want a gar ge tthe 6" ones
a few months of good feeding will get him to a big enough size

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
actually might already be fine, and about another 1 or 2 inches and it would be real safe.

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Well, my gar is a snapper ( predatorial towards anything it seems). I afraid of him latching on to the poor datnoid and possibly killing him. The gar has been mainly by himself so long that I don't know if he'll not attack anything, hell, he'll bite me or the net. I'm debating on getting rid of him (but had him for 7yrs), and buying the two 5-6" florida gar that are in the tank with the Dat at the store. That way they can grow together, and be more used to tankmates by the time they reach a larger size.
Say, I thought they were florida gar at the store, but they named them something different. Like uepadblablabla or something. Know of any pet store weird gar names? Can't quite remember the name, but want to make sure they aren't long nose gar. Is there an easy way to tell the type when they are small.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Dionysus;2822468; said:
Well, my gar is a snapper ( predatorial towards anything it seems). I afraid of him latching on to the poor datnoid and possibly killing him. The gar has been mainly by himself so long that I don't know if he'll not attack anything, hell, he'll bite me or the net. I'm debating on getting rid of him (but had him for 7yrs), and buying the two 5-6" florida gar that are in the tank with the Dat at the store. That way they can grow together, and be more used to tankmates by the time they reach a larger size.
Say, I thought they were florida gar at the store, but they named them something different. Like uepadblablabla or something. Know of any pet store weird gar names? Can't quite remember the name, but want to make sure they aren't long nose gar. Is there an easy way to tell the type when they are small.
how about getting a growout 75gal? you could get the gar and dat to a size you'd be sure to be comfortable before adding them w the big gar.

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Well, I picked up the Dat today, and instead of putting either gar or dat in separate tanks, I just put the Datnoid in with the gar and kept a close eye on them. The datnoid swam right up to the gar, and actually pushed him around a little. The are actually getting along perfect, which I find hard to believe with my gar. Heres a pic of my Dat, not the best pic, but alright. He is 5" on the dot. I tried to get a pic with the gar, but the dats just too damn fast.
Web Dat 2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store