gars tank size

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
I have two gars (5" each) in a 15"x10"x10" tank, is this big enough for my gars?
cheers

bonkoland666

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
alabama
what kind of gar is it?

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
DSC00244.JPG
this gar is about 5", I dunno what type of gar is it, could you guys ID it pls?, and I put them currently in a 15"x10"x10" tank, wot do you guys think?
I will certainly get a bigger tank when they grow bigger

cheers

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
i agree it's a florida gar, as i said above this sized tank will be fine for the moment, but they grow at an average of an inch per month, so you'll be needing a larger tank real soon. there're tons of info on these fish out there on the forum, do a quick search and feel free to come back with any qns!

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
thanks alot for the info guys,
so mine are florida gars, I will certainly get a bigger tank soon,
a few days back, I saw the same gars on the market, they're about 24" just as mentioned above, will they grow much bigger than that, specially in an aquarium?
another silly questions, is florida gar the same as spotted gar?are they not the same as true alligator gars?sorry guys I am just so dumb about this, need help,
will different food I give to my gars affect their colors?

cheers

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
florida is slightly different than spotted
gator gets huge and is very different than florida
florida will only get a max size of 24" in aquaria, lucky if you get it that size. it is possible to get bigger but unlikly. gator can get 3 foot(i believe) in aquaria

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store