what are dats like to own

martin day

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
england
what are dats like i know they can get quite large and are highly predatory but i was thinking do they become owner responsive like many large cichlids do or are they quite skittish ,would it be worth haveing a dat only tank or haveing some other tank mates with them

thanks

christ4paul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
you will probably **** dust before you see them full grown. and some are very skittish. they arent too aggressive and gets along with some fishes. and yes for datnoids keepers it is one of their treasures. once you get rid of them you will want to kick yourself in the head until you pass out. unless your rich and have resource to get more. LOL but its a keeper i can tell you that.

PRIDE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2009
California
well a tiger tank is nice cuz you get the mixture of species of dats but yeah its true that they grow slow so you better luck is to do what you enjoy more. If you like different type of fishes the go with your community tank with different fishes if not then go ALL TiGERS>!

martin day

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
england
PRIDE;2819624; said:
well a tiger tank is nice cuz you get the mixture of species of dats but yeah its true that they grow slow so you better luck is to do what you enjoy more. If you like different type of fishes the go with your community tank with different fishes if not then go ALL TiGERS>!

i really dont mind that they grow slow i was wondering if theyre quite personable like cichlids like oscars are as ive heard they can be

PRIDE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2009
California
yeah dats are not shy, well at first when you get them in the tank they can be shy but slowly they adapt and swim up to you when you walk by or feed them.

janzal3

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Maryland
Dats are very owner responsive, when hungry. Once my son started to feed him, he would swim up to the glass to see if he had food. They are one of the more personable fish that I have ever had. They recognize the person who feeds them and react accordingly. Of the two species that I have had (ST and AT), I thought the ST was smarter and was a little bit unpredicatable as far as what type of tankmates he would permit. I would love to be able to get another ST. Does anyone one know where one could get a small - one less than 6 inches.

janzal3

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Maryland
From what I have been reading they are no longer available. Only STs that were from before the import ban are available. I made a post earlier today about one that I just saw at a LFS. Apparently, they want close to 1000.00 for it. It was about 15 years old. I can't justify that expense. Who knows how long they live, anyway?

PRIDE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2009
California
yeah i know ST are banned from Thailand but theres still other from cambodian and vietnam which are not true pulcher but hey better than not having any right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store