Aquaclear powerfilter vs Penguin bio wheel powerfilter

Asian_Redtail_Catfish

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2006
United States
I have a Aquaclear 110 powerfilter in one tank and a Penguin bio wheel powerfilter that is good for a tank up to 75 gallons in another tank. The powerfilters are my secondary filters.

How good is the Penguin biowheel powerfilter compared to the Aquaclear powerfilter? I am thinking about not using the Penguin powerfilter and buying another Aquaclear powerfilter.

hothew84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2008
virgina
in the end its up 2 you but im going to put in my 2 cents, ok so first off i have used both and i think they are both very good filters but like all filters the have the flause, ill start with the aquaclear, i had a aquaclear 70 on my 55 along with a marineland bio-wheel 330, both worked great, anyways the aquaclear is great because of how its designed and you can fit anything in there you dont just have to use the filter media they give you, lol you could use fluval media or rena, eheim, all of those in the aquaclear and the best thing about it is when water is low because of evaporation it doesnt make a lot of noise, when the water level is low on the bio-wheels it does make a lot of noise but if you have an auto top off system then you dont have to worry about that, also aquaclear gives so much power in such a small size i mean the 110 model filters 500 gallons an hour no bio-wheel can do that, ok so now the bio-wheels, well other than what I already said about it its still a good filter and the bio-wheel does what its suppose to do, and it last for years and years, now as for how the filters are made and which is better its hard to say, so if your looking for somthing that you can change the media in the the aquaclear is for you but if you are look for good bio- filtration then the bio-wheel is for you but the aquaclear can also have very good bio-filter if you have the right materials.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Holy punctuation Batman!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:DGood explanation though.

sutherland

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2009
Las Vegas
Asian_Redtail_Catfish;2822404; said:
I have a Aquaclear 110 powerfilter in one tank and a Penguin bio wheel powerfilter that is good for a tank up to 75 gallons in another tank. The powerfilters are my secondary filters.

How good is the Penguin biowheel powerfilter compared to the Aquaclear powerfilter? I am thinking about not using the Penguin powerfilter and buying another Aquaclear powerfilter.
They are both fine HOB filters. I think you will find a stronger following for Aquaclear and for good reason. The AC is much more accommodating for custom media options, the Penguin (a little creativity is required).

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Asian_Redtail_Catfish;2822404; said:

Well obviously since you are thinking about changing the penguin for an AC110 you can see the difference. I use both, depending on tank size stock etc.

I don't use the penguin as a secondary filter though. It is hard to beat the AC110 when it comes to mechanical filtration. Myself I wash the AC sponges on a weekly basis, they remove a lot of waste from the tank keeping the water clear.

hothew84;2822839; said:
it got the point across didnt it, lol
I couldn't tell ya. I won't even try to decipher garbage such as that. I can't believe proper grammar is really that hard:duh:

crazy clowntang

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
virginia
I have used both filters before and I like them both, but i like the penguin a little more, only because it has the wet/dry filtration. You can also add other media to the penguin filter. I never used the cartridges that they use and I just filled them up with Matrix bio media. That is just my two cents, worked great for me, but to each his own:)

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
I've used both and like the power and capacity of the AC110s, you can't go wrong w/ em. i've got one new one lying around just cuz i like em so much ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store