Help! my gar will not eat

bigrich545

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
cleveland,ohio
www.facebook.com
hello
i bought this gar about 4 months ago, it is a longnose aligator gar, hes in with anoth ger a clown knife and other monsters the tank is a 300 gallon acrylic, a fx5 and a wet dry filter, the tank has been running for 2 years now, and is always clean, i do weekly water changes, now the problem is that i can not get this gar to eat anything, i put live feeders in there and tried market shrimp, he was getting kind of skinny after a month so i grabbed him and forced his mouth open and put a shrimp in his mouth and used a pencilwith eraser to push it into his throat, i do this every 3 days and im getting tired of it,
does anyone know of any way i can get this guy to eat,
i will add pictures in a few
thanks
tracy

bigrich545

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
cleveland,ohio
www.facebook.com
sorry, i forgot to mention that he is about 26" long and very colorfull with no deformities, very healthy looking, so i dont know whats wrong with him

Drea2009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Columbus, OH
Hi,
Have you asked the person that you got him from what food he fed her?? I had 2 alligater gars that were very picky eaters. I always fed mine goldfish and they loved it! Plus I even tried hotdogs, chicken livers(not cooked) and they would gobble it up if they were in the mood. Since he is so big, they like to cetch their prey. I would put some good size gold fish in there and give him some time...
Also do you keep your tank light on at all times?? they are ambush pred. and they will lay very still and then attack. I would also turn your tank light off @ night with the feeders and see what happens.
Also is he or she acting normal staying close to the top or is he falling to the bottom??
Hit me back
Drea2009

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
one we need pics for proper id
longnose and alligator gars are to sepraate species.
does he eat the feeders?
tankmates could be out preforming him for food.
help us out with more info man, and we will try to help you

bigrich545

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
cleveland,ohio
www.facebook.com
here is a pic, hes the larger brown one that im pointing at,

the lights are always off at night,

and i tried 200 feeders in there , they lasted 3 days before disapearing,
and he still had a skinny belly,

he is always at the top, but sometimes in the morning when i turn the lights on hes mid tank facing into the water flow, then when the lights go on he raises to the top, hes getting fatter now, since if been force feeding him

thanks
tracy

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

Aquaguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2008
my house
Im no expert, but i doubt that force feeding your gar or any animal is a great idea. Put yourself in his position. The stress you're causing your gar is likely to do more damage than his lack of eating :nilly:

Gator

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
Ohio
sites.google.com
bigrich545;2826547; said:
here is a pic, hes the larger brown one that im pointing at,

the lights are always off at night,

and i tried 200 feeders in there , they lasted 3 days before disapearing,
and he still had a skinny belly,

he is always at the top, but sometimes in the morning when i turn the lights on hes mid tank facing into the water flow, then when the lights go on he raises to the top, hes getting fatter now, since if been force feeding him

thanks
tracy
First off :thumbsdow then I feel like :swear: then I get:angryfire and in the end I want to :wall:

sorry, i forgot to mention that he is about 26" long and very colorfull with no deformities, very healthy looking, so i dont know whats wrong with him
If hes healthy looking then why are you concerned? Just because he isn't FAT doesn't mean hes not healthy.

bigrich545

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
cleveland,ohio
www.facebook.com
i understand that , but if you would of seen him at his skiniest after a month of not eating, you would realize that i had no choice, i had to get some food in him , he was definatly dying, ive been feeding him for about a month and a half now to get him to be as thick as he is now, so i can starve him again and try feeders again, but before i did i wanted to ask you guys here for any advice, im not into force feeding my fish, i had to
thanks
tracy

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Tracy this is all around just bad and your making things much much worse by subjecting the fish to this type of stress. Drop me a PM and I'll give you my E-mail to contact me. I can help you out better one on one and not in this forum format. You have a couple interesting fish there and I'd hate to see them suffer any. Get in touch and I'll help you out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store