Red devil laying on her side at bottom of tank

lucas2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
san diego
Came home today and my red devil is laying on her side on the bottom of the tank. She has about 300 fry in the tank with her that are about 2 months old and around 1/2 inch long. The male is also in the tank, but is separated by a egg crate divider because he likes to beat her up. They have not been together for at least 2 weeks. Everyone else is fine. When I put my hand on the tank or tap it, she comes up and defends it, then go's back and lays down in the same spot. I can see her eye moving around and watching stuff, so it isn't like she is sick/listless. I just have never seen anything like this ever from a fish. She is not new to me, I have had her since she was a baby and she has never done this before. I guess I am looking for reassurance that she is OK. Thanks

leidy755

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
las vegas
if your water is ok and she is eating, no other signs apart from lying she's probably ok, i never seen my red devil laying around but sure my oscars and jack do it all the time.
wait and hope shes back to normal soon. :)

lucas2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
san diego
I haven't tested the water. I do have a test kit, maybe I will check it later. I think it should be OK, just did a water change last week and everyone else in the tank is just fine. I will continue to watch her, but there really isn't much I can do anyway.

jkennedy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
Arizona
lucas2;2835551; said:
I haven't tested the water. I do have a test kit, maybe I will check it later. I think it should be OK, just did a water change last week and everyone else in the tank is just fine. I will continue to watch her, but there really isn't much I can do anyway.

If the fry and male red devil appear fine then the water quality is okay since they all share the same water and babies are more fragile. She is probably just stressed out still from the spawning. Keep them separated for a while longer. Many south american cichlids sulk at the bottom of the tank in that manner. Although my red devil hasn't done that before I'm sure it is a reletively common occurance. If it doesn't improve within a week I would completely separate the female in another tank out of view of the babies and mate until she starts acting normally.

lucas2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
san diego
It is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. She is lying completely on her side in a hole she has dug in the gravel, as if she is sleeping in bed with her head down. She is either dying, or just weird. I agree the the water must be fine or the fry would be affected first.

lucas2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
san diego
She is still doing the same thing 3 days later. Not getting any better. It seems like she is trying to get away from the fry who are eating at her slime coat. Today I have noticed a red spot on her side that kind of looks like a bruise/sore. I think it is from the fry. I would like to remove them, but don't have anywhere to put them. I am thinking of feeding them to my other fish to save the mother, but it seems like a waste after all the care I have put in to this project.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store