Anyone know this Gar?

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I've owned this Gar for over 7 years, and guess I really don't know the exact type it is. Seems to dark to be Florida gar. I bought him as an Alligator gar @ about 11", 7yrs later he is 15", so He can't be a gator gar. Here the pic, hope it works. If you need a better pic, let me know.
Web 5.jpg

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Sure. Heres a couple more. I guess I've been thinking he's a spotted gar, but wanted to know for sure.
Web 6.jpg

Web 1.jpg

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
I'd go with florida/spotted!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Florida gar. nice looking one too with that dark patterning. they look similar to spotted gars, but some traits (and primarily the fact that you bought it at a fish store) indicate it would be a Florida gar. snout is a little shorter than that of a spotted, etc etc. great fish, and nice job keeping it for 7 years!--
--solomon

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
He was 11" when someone gave my gar and three others to the pet store. All the gar they brought in where fairly larger. My girlfriend worked at the store and called me right away so I had first dibs. I wish I had bought more, but only had a 55g at the time. He has grown only 4-5" since I got him, but he did live about 5yrs in the 55g, before putting him in a 120g. Ive been researching for quite a while to find his exact type. Thought he was a spotted by his dark colors, but you think Florida Huh?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Dionysus;2842431; said:
He was 11" when someone gave my gar and three others to the pet store. All the gar they brought in where fairly larger. My girlfriend worked at the store and called me right away so I had first dibs. I wish I had bought more, but only had a 55g at the time. He has grown only 4-5" since I got him, but he did live about 5yrs in the 55g, before putting him in a 120g. Ive been researching for quite a while to find his exact type. Thought he was a spotted by his dark colors, but you think Florida Huh?
the dark pattern is unusual indeed, but this can occur in any gar species. i would still say Florida gar, yes.

the reason it is so small is likely some stunting due to the 55g housing, but the fish appears to be healthy and will likely do just fine now that it is in a 120g. how wide is the new tank? either way, if it is 7 years old it is very unlikely that it will grow much larger. nicely patterned fish--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store