Broken Back

Aquaguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2008
my house
Hey all,
Im pretty new to gars and have had a little 4'' florida for a couple weeks. Im sure you are all familiar with the sqwirm gars will do when trying to back out of something like the corner of your tank? When my gar does this he seems to only bend his body to the same side every time and his body holds a slight(very slight) "S" bend all the time. My question is; is this a serious issue and also what does a broken back look like(pics?). Id assume it would be very dibilitating. id post pics but I have no camera:screwy:

Aquaguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2008
my house
ok. thankyou thats all i needed to hear. he doesnt seem handicapt in any way. im just paranoid.. One more question that has come to mind. I have a little trouble getting him to eat. Ive tried feeding hime pellets, bloodworms, driedshrimp, chicken liver(cooked)..... he wouldnt pay any attention to anything other than pellets, but the pellets proved too big for him to swallow sooo I broke them into smaller pellets. He showed no interest in that. hes only 4 inches long so any live food must be tiny. any suggestions on live food?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Aquaguy;2848361; said:
ok. thankyou thats all i needed to hear. he doesnt seem handicapt in any way. im just paranoid.. One more question that has come to mind. I have a little trouble getting him to eat. Ive tried feeding hime pellets, bloodworms, driedshrimp, chicken liver(cooked)..... he wouldnt pay any attention to anything other than pellets, but the pellets proved too big for him to swallow sooo I broke them into smaller pellets. He showed no interest in that. hes only 4 inches long so any live food must be tiny. any suggestions on live food?
go with guppies until he's big enough to take down rosy red minnows...the fish will grow quite quickly after that, and around 6-8" you can start experimenting with pellets and non-live again. the important thing at this stage is to keep him well fed. good luck--
--solomon

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
my little handicapped homie he always has that curve to him.

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
If he always looks like that even when he is surfaced or sittin on the bottom then yes there is something wrong with it

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
I KNOW that. it was the whole point to posting my pic of him. hes a gimp but still a good fish and healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store