red bellied pacu books

pacu girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
westbury ny
i have a 17 in pacu and i was wondering if anyone knew of any places that soldbooks that had to do with pacus. i cant seem to find any books on my baby and i would really like to read up on him considering everyone has a different opinion on pacus, i want Squishy to live out his full life.....i hear its 25+ years. im willing to make the commitment for this big fish but i would like to have a reference book for him, anyone who has seen any type of pacu book please get back to me. this isnt an emergency, and the fish is fine, its just for me so i can increase my knowledge of this species. one day i would like to have squishy with a black pacu and maybe a gold one..im not too sure what the name is but i saw a gold pacu (yellowish color) at the aquarium in the amazon tank with red and black pacus i have not been able to find any info on this fish....i might be wrong..it might not be a pacu but it looks like one and thats what i was told it was. any suggestions from anyone greatly appreciated.... thanks so much guys!

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
red bellied pacu books nope but I did a google and came up with 10,000+ hits-Anne

pacu girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
westbury ny
not yet but i know a large tank is in his future....my boyfriend and i have spoken about building a custom tank for him so he can be happy so thats probably what we will end up doing i always wanted to swim with him and building a custom tank will allow that. he already lets me pet him and hand feed him as well as touch him to take things off him and whatnot hes a very trusting fish and i am very glad that i can do what i can to him so i can easily see me being able to swim with him. hes pretty thick right now about 2 1/2 inches and hes not even a year old yet......i knew when i got him that he was going to need a big tank so at least i knew what i was getting into when i bought him which unfortunately alot of people dont more people need to be educated about pacus and how big they really get there are so many that end up being killed because of ignorance on the part of fishkeepers

cciesielski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
iowa
www.freewebs.com
ive seen the red bellied pacus turn darker in the past is that what you mean by black pacu
they have a red belly still but they turned black

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
cciesielski said:
ive seen the red bellied pacus turn darker in the past is that what you mean by black pacu
they have a red belly still but they turned black

There is a difference between red and black.. Red's will lose their colour at around 30 inches....

pacu girl.. I'm so very impressed with you at the moment.. Could be the alcohol talking but more people need to get educated about fish they are getting or have. Good thing you read and knew about the size of a pacu. most people buy then find out..

Finding books on individual species of fish is very hard.. Fortunately you do have the internet AND you have MFK... If you ever need to know something just ask it here...

When you build your custom tank, it would be crazy to see you swimming with your pacu... I've never seen a picture of someone swimming with their fish. that'll be bad asss

pacu girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
westbury ny
thank you sqratch i really tried to learn everything i could about pacus before buying one.

its just very hard to find info on him because so many places have contradicting info as well as wrong info.

i have seen sites that say a 55 gal will suffice for a pacu 55???? maybe for the first two or three months

its just sad because so many fish end up dying or being mistreated (not just pacus) because of misinformation

and trust me when we get this tank built i will definately be posting pics of me in the water with squishy. im wondering how big he will be by then. i mean hes not even a year and hes already 17 inches long!

Pacu Lady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
Canada
Our black Pacu turned 28 this year...and unfortunately, we lost him last month...it was like losing a memeber of the family :cry: My husband would have to actually get in the tank to clean the glass and do maintenance, and the Pacu would allow himself to be petted.
The pacus are a great fish with loads of personality...but be prepared for a long commitment to them.

Scottfree

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
location, location, location
Pacu Lady said:
Our black Pacu turned 28 this year...and unfortunately, we lost him last month...it was like losing a memeber of the family :cry: My husband would have to actually get in the tank to clean the glass and do maintenance, and the Pacu would allow himself to be petted.
The pacus are a great fish with loads of personality...but be prepared for a long commitment to them.

What size did he attain? Any photos???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store