February '09 : Question of the month

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
I realize that I’m posting the free fish trivia question for February in March.
If any of you have a problem with that, my apologies. You really don’t have to continue reading this thread, but I hope you will.

Sure, February was a short month, but where did this one go so fast?

From datnoids to dorados, rays to red severums, Apistos to Cichla, and fancy plecos to Wells catfish, this has been a particularly interesting month in terms of fish stock.

So a music related question it shall be!

I think that the questions I’ve posed the past few months were answered particularly quickly. Let’s see if I can prolong a correct answer by just a little longer this time around.

Here’s a little back ground to give you an idea of how this question comes to be.

My oldest son turned 14 in February. Months ago he asked my wife and me if we’d take him to see classical music performed live by an orchestra. How cool is that?! Of course we would!
This weekend the three of us saw the London Symphony Orchestra perform at the Lincoln Center in NYC.

Don’t you dare yawn. It was incredible. We sat in the 2nd row and were absolutely awed.

When the orchestra performed Gyorgy Ligeti's Atmospheres, I'm pretty sure I had to remind myself to resume breathing a couple times.
It was bizarre, transcendental, even orgasmic. Nine minutes of an out of body experience. At least it was while seeing and hearing this performed live. Here’s a link to a rendition of this song. If you choose to listen, you might like to close your eyes to hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXh07JJeA28&feature=related

It makes use of all 12 notes in the scale, much of the time, all sounding at once.
The orchestral score is notated on 87 staves. In other words, ALL 87 strings players are playing individual parts.
Yes, I read that in the Concert Program.

This brings me to the question in point.

I took a semester off from college to go on the road (any pun resembling Jack Kerouac’s famous novel ‘On the Road’ is purely intentional).

A good friend of mine and I removed the back seat from my Honda Accord, packed for every season, and toured the US, Canada, and some of Mexico for more than three months.
Among the stops we made, between many of our great National Parks and Monuments, we came to a particular city.

I visited a district in that city some 25 or so years ago (see below photo taken in 1980 something).

This street corner (and, in general, the surrounding district) can be said to be of great nostalgic and historical importance, geographically speaking, to American music and awareness.

There was a band, my favorite band incidentally, that hails from this particular time and place.

In attempt to describe the music this band played, I’ve often used the term ‘transcendental’. So not unlike the above description of a symphonic ‘Atmospheres’, music written and performed by the band in question can be said to raise one’s consciousness or awareness far beyond one’s experience or expectations.

For two short years, they resided near this intersection in a district of the city.

I am looking for not only the name of the band to which I refer, but also the address of the Victorian house in which they lived, plus a photo of that house!

The internet is abound with tons of info and photos.

First one to name the band, the address of the house in which they lived,, AND post a photo here of that house – will claim prize to 25.00 of free fish.

ShipOfFools37

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
The Land of Pleasant Living.
The Grateful Dead

710 Ashbury Street
(between Frederick St & Waller St)
San Francisco, CA 94117

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Jeez. Can you guys do this any faster??!!

Sorry Dennis, ShipOfFools had you beat by 2 short minutes!
With a name like that, it's great to know you pulled this one off so fast. You rocked.

Please send me an email to get set up and claim your prize man!

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
dmopar74;2852326; said:
jimi stayed in the area for a while as well.
You know Jimy and Janis died at the same age? And Morrison too. crazy...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store