Status
Not open for further replies.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Here are some solid references/resources for Identification of Gar species. These are existing keys and references, so they will be linked to this thread, but images will not be reproduced unless done so by the authors.

Please check these sources before posting a new thread for gar identification. Careful review of these images/references should allow you to make an initial ID on your gar, if you have further questions feel free to post.

Thanks and good luck--
--solomon

GAR IDENTIFICATION References/Resources:

Lepisosteidae.net
(illustrations of all gar species, photo IDs coming soon)

GARS - PrimitiveFishes.com
(photos of all gar species - adults, juveniles, hybrids)

GAR Key v.2.0
(photos of all gar species - adults, sub-adults, hybrids)

Juvenile Gar Key
(photos of all gar species - young of the year & juvenile individuals)

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
people never read the sticky's.... great idea solomon but we all know there will still be a million ID my gar threads...

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
look at solomons websites before... all you could ever need and still ID my gar... great concept love the amount him and richard and all put into these awesome fish... cant thank them enough for there info.... but everybody on here thinks they are the first person to ask a question...

i for one will use these just as i use primitive fish for info and send people to it...

keep up the good work solomon... and i still want your crocodile gar :) or atleast more pictures of it

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
Nic;2866786; said:
look at solomons websites before... all you could ever need and still ID my gar... great concept love the amount him and richard and all put into these awesome fish... cant thank them enough for there info.... but everybody on here thinks they are the first person to ask a question...

i for one will use these just as i use primitive fish for info and send people to it...

keep up the good work solomon... and i still want your crocodile gar :) or atleast more pictures of it

completely agree with ur sentiments their!

snap, thats exactly how i roll...

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Awesome info Solomon, but I agree with Nic...most people are far to lazy to actually stop and read it before starting "what did I buy and can I house it" thread. Great thought though!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Nic;2866786; said:

demjor19;2867008; said:
Awesome info Solomon, but I agree with Nic...most people are far to lazy to actually stop and read it before starting "what did I buy and can I house it" thread. Great thought though!
thanks for the comments guys, they are much appreciated. and i definitely agree with the reality that you guys are pointing out...the irony of the "sticky" is that even fewer people seem to read them than the threads at the top of the regular section...of course, unless one constantly updates a regular section thread, they will be moved to the bottom. such is the conundrum i guess.

i just figured it would be nice to have the references out here for...reference, that way whenever someone posts another pic of their Florida gar and asks what it is, we can just say "look at the pinned threads" or something like that...and will actually have basis for giving a short answer like that :)

Polypterus;2867069; said:
Got banned where? If it is where I think I'll fix that for you... as long as you behave :p
i'm sure richard can fix that for you; makes me curious as to how you got banned though, haha--
--solomon

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store