illegal gars?

SnaKeheAdSrAwSomE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2008
wherever god takes me LOL
if all species of gars are illegal in CA, why do i see them so often. And yes i know they are true gars because i observed them taking gulps of air from the surface. Anyways, i see them at some of my LFS a lot.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
SnaKeheAdSrAwSomE;2856463; said:
if all species of gars are illegal in CA, why do i see them so often. And yes i know they are true gars because i observed them taking gulps of air from the surface. Anyways, i see them at some of my LFS a lot.
Because they are being sold under unfamiliar (Made up) names and the Dept. of Fish and Game has little to no resources or ability to enforce their import laws. Just because they are available does not mean they are Legal. If it is decided to go after those selling or possessing Illegal fish by state law (Or federal law) they can...

I would not expect this to last very long as fines = money and that is something Cali is really hurting for...

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
and that is why if i obtain a fish legally and they make it illegal no one will ever see it but me as i do not agree that a fish gotten legally can not be kept if made illegal after it was purchased

i have my private tanks i dont tell anyone about and i dont show off what i have in them

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
if you obtain a fish legally then it becomes illegal and you keep it not sell it or anything like that then you can usually keep it. It usually is grandfathered in(or at least most laws go that way for other stuff) though with fish it is kinda hard to prove that you had it before it became illegal. hmmmm.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store