spotted gars

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
are they compatible with irridescent sharks and clown knife of similar size?

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
How big is your tank that you gonna put them in? They should be fine as long as you got a big tank for them. By the way spotted gars are not available in the Philippines. They are all captive breed Florida gars. The lfs just labeled them wrong. Gator and Florida are the only two available gars in the Philippines as far as I know.

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
i have an 80G...small?? i'll take a pic of the so called spotted gars in our LFS..

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
peewee;2858993; said:
i have an 80G...small?? i'll take a pic of the so called spotted gars in our LFS..
Trust me they are all Florida gars. Florida and spotted look very similar especially at younger stage. Almost 95% of all lfs around the world never call a Florida gar, a Florida gar. They call them spotted gar which is not correct.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
getting back to the original question...and yes, some more explanation should have been given other than just "no" in this case:

clown knife of similar size could work, but this also depends on the personality of the CK...some are more aggressive than others.

the shark is not a good idea because they are actively swimming and silver...both are hard for a gar to ignore, and since it doesn't have any scales, the shark could get beaten up quite easily and/or killed. the shark could also spook the gar into breaking its back.

so i would say a conditional yes with the CK, no on the IR shark. good luck--
--solomon

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
CKs are pretty mellow for the most part and I think it would be fine with a Gar. The ID Sharks are pretty active swimmers and just don't really mix too well with more calmer fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store