2 Sick Spotted Gars

RobertM.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
SoCal
Hi, I am new here, and 2 weeks ago I started to notice that both my spotted gars (10"-11") started showing weird dots on them. I have had ich before in other tanks and this does not look like ich to me even though it seems close. Each one has about 3-5 of these dots on them. And they swim and act and eat noraml. No scratching.

2 weeks ago I took both gars out of the main tank and put them in a 30 gallon tank and started salt treatment at 1.006 salinity and pick up temp. at 87 degrees. Also put sea salt in main tank that tank is fine. And then 6 days in salt treatment saw that the 30 gallon tank ph was to high so did a water chage didn't put salt back but put in Mardel copper safe seeing that it says treats external infections. and still no change they still act fine.

How long to you think cooper safe needs to fully work?

Or should I go back to salt? if so how much?

thefishguy7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
I've read that with gar use meds only as a last resort. They're tough fish, between extra heat and good water quality they should heal on their own.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
if you can get pics it would help immensely. it sounds like it could be lymphcystis, which is viral and is best treated with water changes and higher temp...and the virus will go away on its own. these round marks look something like small tumors on the fish.

gars rarely get ich, so unless conditions are really bad in your tank i doubt it's ich. again, photos will help.

don't use coppersafe or any other meds until we have figured out what the actual problem is. most gar ailments can be cured with increased volume/frequency of water changes, increased temp, and a little salt in the water--
--solomon

RobertM.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
SoCal

these are the best pic i can take the things are so small.
But yea yesturday I did a 30% water change and put back the carbon.
I want to go bck to sea salt. How high should i put the salinity? 1.006? tell me in salinity not in tea spoons please b/c there is already a small amount about 1.002-1.003(ppt-4)

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
are you sure its not just its regular spots? i dont see anything wrong o.o

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
looks like it could be lymphocystis; looks too raised up and amorphous to be fish lice. i would just go with higher temp (82 F), increased volume and frequency of water changes (do 50% 2x a week). you can add salt if you want as it won't really hurt...but don't use any other meds. the problem should go away in a week or two.

as for salt concentration, i can only give it to you in teaspoons as i don't use a specific gravity meter on my freshwater tanks. do a water change on you tank, and then add 1 tbsp salt per 20g of water. that should be fine, and maintain that concentration with the next few water changes. fish should be just fine--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store