Is this Miami the Killer?

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
2 nights ago i woke up to find one of my 5 inch bass critically injured, it died later i think of stress. i had a feeling it was the other bass as on the bass forum the orino i had bought of 4 inches had by members thought to be the culprit.
Today i have woken to find my other bass dead.It had marks on it like the other but it was just floating so it had not been eaten or touched.

So it was not the Bass.....Well it does not look that way anyway.

In my tank (or this tank)

I had

2 - 6 inch lima's
1- Ornate.....12 inches
1- Tiger fish....4 inches
1--CKF.....7 inches

And a 10 inch florida gar.

I can hear you say possibly....Gar or Knife...

Well this morning the Knife had scrape marks and had been attacked....

Who is it?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
lima isn't going to cause those kind of scrapes. tigerfish could, but it's unlikely given the size difference. it is likely your gar.

the issue is that most of these fish do not make good tankmates and should not be kept together. a gar will go after whatever it thinks MIGHT fit into its mouth, especially during juvenile growth stages, so the bass were likely killed while trying to be consumed. the ATF won't last long either as gars can't resist silvery fishes.

the size difference between your gar/bichir and the rest of the tankmates is also quite a bit. i wouldn't completely rule out the ornate as they can seem shy but may attack at night.

how big is your tank? and either way, i would separate out the ATF and Limas from the rest of the bunch--
--solomon

Slippery

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
England
But i also noticed it had scarred the Clown Knife and there is no way he was fitting that in his mouth, the ornate either!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Slippery;2863579; said:
But i also noticed it had scarred the Clown Knife and there is no way he was fitting that in his mouth, the ornate either!
i didn't say the fish wouldn't attack tankmates, just that they will often try to eat fish that may not fit in their mouths (generally misjudging size by the fish). that being said, these are predatory fishes...they are all prone to attacking each other from time to time. i keep several gars together and they will fray each others fins frequently (and there is no way any of them could feasibly eat each other). --
--solomon

RobE

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
Seminole, FL
I have a 11" florida gar that has attacked everything ive put in with him, Regardless of size difference. That is why he now resides in my pond outside could not risk my pbass.:grinno:

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
I would say it's the gar or the ornate. My Florida gar used to be at 12" and it that grabbed a 5" midas cichlid. If you compared a 5" midas and a 5" bass, a midas is a lot more robust at that size. I also have a 10" ornate that ate a 4" midas.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
im bettin the gar. Gars are predators, blah blah blah, so on and so forth.
Look heres how it is, gar will kill. They eat other fish. Mine has killed many fish without eating them. They want food. When he gets hungry and he thinks there is the possiblity of he could eat it, then he will try. the Ck could have just pissed him off and he bit. My gar got ticked and murdered his pleco tankmate(yes i know gars and pleco not good tank mates) that was as big as him. the pleco was 10" the gar 11". No way he could have eaten it he just didnt want it near him and he struck it and killed it. Separate most of those fish except the bichir and gar.
GL
and yes i do know this message is probably rambly and probably makes no since. Just got off work and it was hard today. Im tired. sorry if its rambly

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
ive told you on one of your threads before...dont keep that gar with those bass....
unfortunately gars do tend to misjudge the size of a fish and try to eat it....

crowxviii

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Philippines
Ornate seems possible though...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store