fx5 micro bubbles?

srawding

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
CT
I bought new fx5 and couldn't wait for media to arrive so set it up empty except for 1 inch of poly filler in one basket turned it on seemed to work great next morning micro bubbles everywhere. Turn it on/off to see maybe had air in it, alot came out so I thought it was fixed. Searched the old fx5 micro bubble section saw maybe it was clogged how I don't know but took it apart filter floss was still clean so I only put in 1/2 inch in and same thing happened.
Checked all hose clamps, even tried hardly tightening the top still happens in a few hours of running. I looked at the hoses inch by inch saw nothing and if there was tiny hole it would be leaking right? I am pissed to tell the truth with this filter because I didn't even put media in it and I have lots of media and another fx5 on the way. Any thoughts?
I wanted this filter to take out the tiny specs floating in my tank so I don't need it for bio, but for mechanical.
I had it 1 week still can't get it right

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
I run two FX5s. I suspect that a majority of the problems associated with this filter...such as microbubbles, gushing sounds, etc., are attributable to flow problems. Either the media are too dense or become clogged and the pump can't push the water through at a flowrate that is compatible with the design of this unit. I would remove the polyester floss and retest the filter. If the bubbles go away, then you've identified the problem. Unfortunately, you've also verified that this material is incompatibile with this filter. If the bubbles persist, then it's obviously a structural issue, such as a leak. Might want to check that the motor unit on the front is firmly screwed into place...once in a while these get loose.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
mine drove me crazy when i first got it, it is set up in my bedroom

mine was because the filter floss i was using was getting clogged fast and restricting the flow. You can unplug it and it will purge out the air but within hours it would get loud again.

I have now started changing out the filter floss very often and the sound has stopped.

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
clean it when mine doesi t its the polishing pad thats dirty i replaced it and back to normal

srawding

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
CT
Well woke up this morning and bubbles again!!! ahhhhh
Only thing in filter is 1/2 inch of poly fill I put in yesterday
Today i'm taking it out and going to run it empty and we shall see what happens

joe00

Ghost Shrimp
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Rockford, IL
I believe this is due to a phenomenon called cavitation. Google it-very interesting. I was having this same problem with one of my FX5s. Eventually I stopped using my FX5s as mechanical filters-never had the problem again.

srawding

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
CT
Ive heard great things about this filter but to me it sucks
Just got off the phone with customer service and they were about useless as t--s on a bull.
She says it must be dirty I told her it's new with nothing in it hows can it be dirty
Did you buy it used shes says again I said it's Brand New no media and still bubbles so she says try the whole start up procedure again . Like I haven't done this for 6 days in a row now
My new one I also ordered should be here today so maybe that one will work and I just have a lemon
I read all the threads about bubbles but seems no one has this problem while empty

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I am going to list of ideas that could cause it but are a little out there in terms of going unnoticed.

1) Check the intake to the impeller. Lift the baskets out and make sure nothing is clogging this hole. Its better to remove the pump to see through the entire hole.

2) Check the pump to make sure its not loose.Also make sure the o-ring is still good. May need a screw driver to remove the 4 screws holding the pump into place.

3) Make sure both output and input hoses/nozzels are free and clear.

4) Technically the head height restriction is very high on canister filters but according to Hagen Customer Service there is a limit. What is the height with your setup?

I believe this is due to a phenomenon called cavitation.
Yup. Vapor Cavitation.

I have run filter fiber in mine ever since I got it so its not that its "incompatible" with this filter, its just the surface area is so small for the amount of flow the filter is capable of producing so it will clog quick (obvisouly not your problem).

Ullopincrate

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2008
South Eastern US
At what point does the irritation outweigh the benefit? That's too bad I was thinking of purchasing a couple of these, but I have enough noise on some tanks for their location.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store