Datnoid entirely black

LiveCulture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I own a gold tiger datnoid, i'm not sure the exact species. i've had him for 2 months and im aware that they are docile but my fishes body is entirely black and hes been like that since i got him...any suggestions?
thanks, matt

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
Sounds like an unstable dat. My NGT is completely black but once the lights go out the yellow gets really intense! I'd love some tips on stabilizing Dats as well!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It has to do with their mood and stability.I have an Indo that used show nice color until my much smaller NGT decided to single it out as a bully target and now it is always near black.Since yours is a recent purchase maybe you can try leaving off the hood lights for a few weeks untill it gets used to its new surroundings.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Welcome to the world of datnoids!

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
arkmann;2864170; said:
Welcome to the world of datnoids!
If you want to encourage tigers to get stable when lights r on,

take out all hiding spaces, lights on timer for at least 10 hours, and feed only when lights are on.

However, what ever you do , some tigers will just always be dark,/ unstable.

LiveCulture

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Ade;2864298; said:
If you want to encourage tigers to get stable when lights r on,

take out all hiding spaces, lights on timer for at least 10 hours, and feed only when lights are on.

However, what ever you do , some tigers will just always be dark,/ unstable.
Thats exactly what i do now...maybe i could b a little more consistent with feeding him with the lights on...thnks

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
LiveCulture;2864425; said:
Thats exactly what i do now...maybe i could b a little more consistent with feeding him with the lights on...thnks
thats good. oh... it can also can take several months for some tigers to get stable

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
All the posts above are absolutely true. You can also try giving them absolutely anything that they would want and they would stay unstable.

I have an 8" NTT and its not totally black but its bars are totally washed out. It comes out all the time and swims around but its bars are still washed out.

I have a 4'5" NTT and I think it is bound to be stable coz it becomes stable at feeding time and becomes jet black right after.

I have also done what Ade suggested but you will almost always have that datnoid who wouldn't become stable AT ALL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store