DO YOU BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION?

you believe in evolution of freshwater stingrays?

• i believe in evolution

Votes: 37 72.5%
  • i do NOT believe in evolution

Votes: 14 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
this may stir up a HUGE pot!

So do you believe that Freshwater River stingrays "evolved" from salt water rays? or were there always Freshwater and Saltwater rays since the begining of time.

I believe that evloution is a joke... it is a thought that Darwin had and was basically thinking out loud.. It caught like wild fire and spread. It is exactly that a theory/hypothesis... even Darwin him self said" that the theory has more holes that swiss cheese"

IMO EVOLUTION IS ONLY SPECUALTION FROM A VIVID IMAGINATION!

(definition of evolution)
  1. A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form. See Synonyms at development.<LI type=a>The process of developing.
  2. Gradual development.
  3. Biology <LI type=a>Change in the genetic composition of a population during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species.
  4. The historical development of a related group of organisms; phylogeny
fact:
Patrick Glynn, Ph.D. Harvard University, writes "TODAY THE CONCRETE DATA GOES STRONGLY IN THE DIRECTION OF THE "GOD" HYPOTHESIS"

What proof is there that Saltwater rays evolved.???

MODS, i am not trying to start a "GOD" argument, i am just curious in what others believe and why as far as the "evolution" of Freshwater Stingrays.

If anybody has any remarks to make over "GOD" please keep it to PM's... so this thread does not get deleted.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
:popcorn:

This threads going to make me even fatter now....lol

Ullopincrate

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2008
South Eastern US
I didn't hit the polls but here is my take. I major in Biology. From what I see/believe species do indeed evolve. So yes I believe in evolution by natural selection with one caveat. A fish will always be a fish. A bird .. a bird. A monkey.. a monkey. If the "other" type of evolution were true then why are there still monkeys? I also believe there is a God who set this whole thing in motion and gave species the ability to change with an environment/ need basis. But I think it is random mutation that is favored and not "developed" because of a particular need. So I'd have to vote both yes and no. I'll subscribe to this thread to see others' opinions. You may have opened up the proverbial Pandora's box here.

To make this opinion more precise: I think species evolve within their own genus or species.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Ullopincrate;2883976; said:
I didn't hit the polls but here is my take. I major in Biology. From what I see/believe species do indeed evolve. So yes I believe in evolution by natural selection with one caveat. If the "other" type of evolution were true then why are there still monkeys? I also believe there is a God who set this whole thing in motion and gave species the ability to change with an environment/ need basis. But I think it is random mutation that is favored and not "developed" because of a particular need. So I'd have to vote both yes and no. I'll subscribe to this thread to see others' opinions. You may have opened up the proverbial Pandora's box here.

To make this opinion more precise: I think species evolve within their own genus or species.

interesting, do you feel that Stingrays were indeed a Saltwater ray that evolved to FW?

I agree with what you are saying but would need more facts to back that up. I am 100% sure that A fish will always be a fish. A bird .. a bird. A monkey.. a monkey....lol

dmopar74;2883977; said:
i dont see how someone could not believe in evolution. do people think that certail animals just popped up out of thin air one day?

Please give more thoughts on this matter of why you believe against?

so to answer your question Yes i do believe that everything was Created....Not an accidient! There is more of a chance of a tornado going by a airplane hanger full of airplane parts and producing an airplane!

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
this thread is already heading down the road to closure, but i agree, evolution of a species is there, a fish is still a fish, a bird a bird, i believe that yes, freshwater rays evolved from the saltwater rays as the salinity in rivers dropped. Species will evolve to live in thier enviornments. (long scale term im not saying you can drop a saltwater fish into freshwater and it will survive.... obviously)

Ullopincrate

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2008
South Eastern US
I do believe that freshwater rays evolved from saltwater.... or possibly the other way around. Who knows. I think brackish water fish are the intermediary here. They start out in an estuary which is freshwater dumping into the ocean and there is a mix, most, when they get older go out to sea. A few examples of natural selection helped along by us hobbyist would include the mollys who can now live totally in freshwater for their entire lives. It wasn't always that way. That is natural selection helped along by us in fish farms. Or how wild caught discus are more fragile than farm raised. Species adapt. Individuals acclimate. In a population genes mutate. Just like we are all different, so are all other species. A particular gene mutation might allow for a discus to tolerate higher ph ranges so that gene is favored and we breed from that stock more until we have a better strain. This is no different than breeding for color. However there are still the wild strains. This is an example of allopatrick speciation. (of course the allopatrick speciation example infers that eventually the new strain will not be able to mate with the old strain. It basically means "separation", but none of us will live long enough to know this outcome. It stands to reason as a theory but so did a lot of things later found to be wrong.)

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
turkeyboy85;2884075; said:
this thread is already heading down the road to closure, but i agree, evolution of a species is there, a fish is still a fish, a bird a bird, i believe that yes, freshwater rays evolved from the saltwater rays as the salinity in rivers dropped. Species will evolve to live in thier enviornments. (long scale term im not saying you can drop a saltwater fish into freshwater and it will survive.... obviously)

i have been reading alot about evolution, and it got me thinking of stingrays and if indeed they were truly SW at one time... thats all nothing more...

Now what proof do we have that they did come from a sw animal????
Who is to say that there was not always FW rays? and were created at the begining of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store