Disappearing Centerline

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
Hello. I'll post pictures when i get the chance, but one of my 2 needle-nose gars has lost their centerline. I just woke up this morning, and it was... gone. I can't explain it. Has anyone heard of this before? I thought it was strange, so I figured some awesome gar expert out there might be able to tell me why.

I do care about the gars, and thank you for your help!

-Matt

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
Gator;2884688; said:
Wrong section of the forums. Those are not true gars.
I've already been through this with someone. Gah. I just typed the wrong name. They are longnose gars. I wish I hadn't made that typo, because that might be the reason I haven't gotten a good reply so far.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
maturation will cause the line to go away, this is natural. most gars lose it, some don't. gars will also lose more of their pattern at night, so if you see them first thing in the morning before they adapt to the lights, they will also be missing their pattern. none of it is anything to worry about in 99% of the cases--
--solomon

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
Gator;2885173; said:
How big are they?
They are 8-9" long.

E_americanus;2885200; said:
maturation will cause the line to go away, this is natural. most gars lose it, some don't. gars will also lose more of their pattern at night, so if you see them first thing in the morning before they adapt to the lights, they will also be missing their pattern. none of it is anything to worry about in 99% of the cases--
--solomon
Alright; that is really good to hear. Thanks for your help, Solomon!

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
yea at that size the line shouldnt be there

crowxviii

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Philippines
My gar's horizontal line changed into spots. Slowly from the tail portion towards the head in a matter of 2 months time. its now atleast 10". and his back developed dark big spots. It looks good on him though. I guess this is just normal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store