Gill Curl red tail catfish

davemac

Feeder Fish
Mar 14, 2009
Durham England
I need advice on Gill Curl./ My red tail cat has now got a serious problem it apears to have happened bvery quick indeed certainly noticable over the past 4 weeks. housed in a 72 x 24 x 24 tank temperature and all water parimeters are good for the cat. 23 inches long 2 1/2 years old feeds on sild, muscle, shell on prawn, heart and almost anything else that he is given. I do a 1/4 water change per week.
he soon to be re housed in a large indoor vat.
does gill curl kill, is there a cure, can it be limited.

Cheers
Dave

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Try doing a lot of WC's if you want to cure it. It is mostly cosmetic. It will go away overtime with waterchanges, salt, and an upgrade.

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
I<3fish;2904602; said:
Try doing a lot of WC's if you want to cure it. It is mostly cosmetic. It will go away overtime with waterchanges, salt, and an upgrade.
i agree. more filtration, maybe add some powerheads to the tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Gill curl in any fish (unless a mutation) is a chromic symptom of too few water changes, and either ammonia or nitrate poisoning, and usually manifests over a lengthy period of time.
To me a 25% water change for that fish is very tiny.
I change 30-40% every other day for much smaller fish, in much larger tanks.
When you say water parameters are good, what are nitrates? over 10ppm? if so nitrate poisoning (fish living in urine soup) may be your problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store