Salt who still believes ???

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
So after everything that has happened to me with my rays recently and with everyone elses problems I truly believe we need to go back to the salt as a shotgun treatment when we are in doubt.
I do not mean any disrespect to dw and believe in his knowledge of rays to be the standard of anyone and I hope he does reply to this.
After reading his thread I began to question alot about what I was doing and how I was doing it which to me was a great reward to get me back to the why's of what we do and after thiking about it I still believe the benifits outway the downfalls of adding the salt.
These are purely observations of mine and second hand knowledge from articles on the web and people on the forum.
I do think we are stressing our rays in one way or another with either overcrowding,poor tank maintenance,improper capture and acclimation and whatever else we can do wrong. This in turn I think are leaving are rays open to different problems. This is where dw's thread would help prevent all this, but the truth is it happens and is going to happen in the world we live in so we need to address these problems from a point after the problem.
By the time alot of us see a problem it is to late for simple waterchanges to be the cure. This is where I think adding salt is the next best thing and seems to have cured many rays over the years on the board. It will kill bactria, relax rays, act as a laxitive, kill flagellates (which I think killed one of my rays and infected the others) and may have other positive effects that I haven't noticed. On the other hand I have not seen anyone loose a ray to salt yet.
Please post your opinions on this. Are we killing are rays or saving them with the all around salt cure?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
ill read all this later :p but im always gonna use salt....

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
All around salt cure?:confused: Could you please elaborate what you mean by this? Salt is not an ultimate cure for several diseases. There are many parasites that remain unfazed by the effects of the salt.

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
Lupin;2905542; said:
All around salt cure?:confused: Could you please elaborate what you mean by this? Salt is not an ultimate cure for several diseases. There are many parasites that remain unfazed by the effects of the salt.
You are totally correct. What I mean is when we do not know the exact problem or what the ray is telling us by it's actions salt is a good first line of defence. Or do you think we should leave the ray be and not do anything until we know for sure? Are we doing more harm adding salt or getting a chance at a few things without killing our ray.
I do think this is our first line of defence and am not worried about adding salt to my tank.

JOEG.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2006
Tennessee
I use salt in my tanks as mentiond. Works very well.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
skynoch;2905607; said:
You are totally correct. What I mean is when we do not know the exact problem or what the ray is telling us by it's actions salt is a good first line of defence. Or do you think we should leave the ray be and not do anything until we know for sure? Are we doing more harm adding salt or getting a chance at a few things without killing our ray.
I do think this is our first line of defence and am not worried about adding salt to my tank.

well first thing is water changes followed by a few more water changes then add salt....

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
I agree with Nic. Why do we always have to rush immediately to salt when a problem appears without properly diagnosing the causes? If it were water changes, I'd agree with that more than the use of salt.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
JOEG.;2905746; said:
I use salt in my tanks as mentiond. Works very well.
I assume you also use salt on permanent basis? What is the reasoning behind your use of salt?

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
H2O is a much better chemical than NaCl.
Salt is useful, but not all the time and not at the high doses often suggested. Just because a ray can handle it doesn't mean you should do it ( high salt, high constant temp etc)
Salt will only kill some bacteria, and the ones it will kill are usually not the ones you are going to have a problem with, those bacteria could be put in a solid salt block and not be affected by it.. Salt is therefore useful mostly for preventing secondary infections while treating a primary infection. more than 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons is imo redundant, as per the previous thread referred to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store