Tire Track eel growth rate

foxypleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Hither and Yon
ive been trying to do research on the tire track eel and its been going alright between MFK and google but one thing i havent found was their growth rate.the tire track eels sold at my lfs are about 4".i am interested in one but a 4" tire track eel could not go in my 150 right away,it would have to grow out a bit in one of my smaller tanks and i just wanted to know how long it would take to reach,say,12".

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
It kind of depends. I personally have only kept Fire eels, but the growth rate should be very similar. They would gain about a 1/4 inch a month.

Jox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Mine grew pretty fast. Got it at around 4 or 5 inches and skyrocketed to 9-10. Eats only Nightcrawlers and live ghost shrimp. That was in a span of like 2 -3 months

Reactions: djsaltynuts

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
It kind of depends. I personally have only kept Fire eels, but the growth rate should be very similar. They would gain about a 1/4 inch a month.
damn, yours grow slowly. my 2 fire eels which i accured last month have grown about 4-5 cm in the last month. they are around 20-25 cm now. just make sure their bellies are filled up all the time and you see them grow.

akskirmish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2006
anchorage
Well i bought mine when he was at the 3.5 inch mark a year and 4 months ago.I feed him well and kept the water params as perfect as I could.I did multiple large water changes weekly.My tyre track eel is now at the 24 inch mark!!!So I would have to say they are fast growers,but it will also depend on the conditions you keep him in-That will affect his growth rate tremendously!!!

PinkPanther

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2006
New York
They grow at a faster rate if you feed them live foods such as worms. Also make sure you are getting a tiretrack not a zigzag eel. They look very similar but zig zag eels top out at about 6inches. So look some pictures up on the web and make sure you can tell the difference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store