BLACK GARS?

snookn21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
FT. MYERS FL
www.aquabid.com
HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN JET BLACK GARS? NOT STRESSED GARS, JET BLK GARS WITH JET BLK EYES AND FINS. IT IS ACTUALLY THE FIRST ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN. AND I WILL PLACE IT FOR SALE SOON. IF ANY OF YOU HAVE PICS OF SOME, PLEASE POST. I WILL TAKE SOME IN A DAY OR TWO. IS THIS A COMMON OR UNCOMMON GENETIC DISORDER? LET ME KNOW, THANKS JOHN

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
snookn21;2966317; said:
HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE SEEN JET BLACK GARS? NOT STRESSED GARS, JET BLK GARS WITH JET BLK EYES AND FINS. IT IS ACTUALLY THE FIRST ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN. AND I WILL PLACE IT FOR SALE SOON. IF ANY OF YOU HAVE PICS OF SOME, PLEASE POST. I WILL TAKE SOME IN A DAY OR TWO. IS THIS A COMMON OR UNCOMMON GENETIC DISORDER? LET ME KNOW, THANKS JOHN
happens around spawning time quite frequently in several species (potentially all of them). melanistic gars also occur, and this has been noted in several gar species. some maintain their black coloration, some lose the black pigmentation and return to "normal" gars.--
--solomon

PS-- there are several photos online of melanistic gars.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
here are a couple pics:

first two pics are from garfishing.com

here is a pic from primitivefishes.com:

r3d

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 5, 2008
[|x_O|]
i think ive got one of what your talkin about, its all black but the top half is orange, very cool looking gar
i dont think its a spotted though its way to aggressive

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
r3d;2966630; said:
i think ive got one of what your talkin about, its all black but the top half is orange, very cool looking gar
i dont think its a spotted though its way to aggressive
do you have pics? i've heard of orangey-coloured gars but never seen one. they were spotted/florida though.

r3d

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 5, 2008
[|x_O|]
alcohologist;2966644; said:
do you have pics? i've heard of orangey-coloured gars but never seen one. they were spotted/florida though.
i have a few pictures of my two, one of them is kind of brown the other has the orange top, and it seems like the orange has gotten brighter since the last time i took pictures

IMGP1112.JPG

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
r3d;2966662; said:
i have a few pictures of my two, one of them is kind of brown the other has the orange top, and it seems like the orange has gotten brighter since the last time i took pictures
that's a relatively frequently encountered juvenile gar pattern...they look like this especially when small. it will look like a normal Florida gar as it grows--
--solomon

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
:popcorn:

Cant wait!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com