Out Side Saltwater Tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
hawaii
I just have a quick question. Since corals and live rock etc. live in the ocean with only natural sunlight, and not all those expensive light fixtures, than would a nano(10g) reef tank do good outside. What I mean by this is would the corals and things grow fine. I dont see why it wouldnt since its in the natural light its meant to be in. I would most likely have soft corals if i were to ever do this.

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
If there were no hood on it, as the glass absorbs most of the UV radiation.

metalyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2007
Colorado
Great question. The only problem I've heard of is algae build up, but if the levels are maintained well I don't see why not.

micstarz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Hong Kong
You would need a turf algae filter and a refugium with macroalgae to stop algae from blanketing everything, which would cost more than normal lights.

Rockbass6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Lake Erie
A store that I have been too, used some sort of greenhouse for their frag tank, it was pretty cool, I don't have the details of their setup, but a modified version of what your asking might be done, but could also be more trouble and research than just finding a used light on craigslist from your local area.

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
hawaii
Thanks guys, i was just wondering. I was just going to try it out for fun because nearby my house theres a harbor with tons of soft corals growing in it that i could get. The round bright green ones with purple in the middle that bud off from eachother. Theres also an unlimited amount of feather dusters, and i can even catch pretty nice expensive butterfly fish and tangs easily (raccon Butterflys, Yellow Tangs, convict tangs, and even moorish idols). Theres also tons of stony coral growing all over the rocks, but its illegal to take them here. TTT

Rockbass6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Lake Erie
808;3007115; said:
Thanks guys, i was just wondering. I was just going to try it out for fun because nearby my house theres a harbor with tons of soft corals growing in it that i could get. The round bright green ones with purple in the middle that bud off from eachother. Theres also an unlimited amount of feather dusters, and i can even catch pretty nice expensive butterfly fish and tangs easily (raccon Butterflys, Yellow Tangs, convict tangs, and even moorish idols). Theres also tons of stony coral growing all over the rocks, but its illegal to take them here. TTT
what the heck yellow tangs cost me $50 bucks and you can just go down the street and catch your own? haha. good luck, if your idea fails, its not like you lost $200 in frags doing an experiment, you live in Hawaii.

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
Billy the kid;3006467; said:
no no no .what a joke
why not?

i remember a thread [or link to another one] of a custom-made outdoor tank somewhere in south america, that was successful. the guy had a slanted pane of glass on the top of the tank so bubbles wouldnt gather and he had a perfect top view of his reef. also a small shed housing his filtration, chiller, etc. anyone have a link to it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store