Breeding Dragons....

A. IMPORTZ

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
HI
Does anyone have any information about breeding morays?Let alone the dragons?Sexing them? I have a clue but i want to get more opinions....:D

AW2EOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
The East Side
99% of all Moray species are unidentifiable, as male/female, without extensive medical tests.

If I remember correctly, there have been few instances where certain species have bred...never ending up with a maturing egg sack.

Dragons have never been bred. I had my Dragon for going on 8 years and went over every piece of information I could find (online, as well as years of contact with Shedd Aquarium) and could never find any instance where breeding them had ever come close.

Billy the kid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
OBX N.C
Moray eels, like all true eels are oviparous. Although little is known regarding green moray spawning, fecundity and early development of the leptocephali, one published source records numerous ripe eggs measuring 1mm in diameter from a 1.1 meter female. In contrast to this single record other sources indicate a much larger size for the eggs of other morays, on the order of 3-4mm in diameter.

True-eels (Anguilliformes) along with the closely allied tarpon (Megalopidae), bonefish (Albulidae), and ladyfish (Elopidae) produce larvae known as leptocephali. These transparent, ribbon-like larvae drift amongst the plankton as they develop. Interestingly, muraenid leptocephali possess pectoral fins, a condition wholly different from that of the adults. It is during the transformation from leptocephalus to juvenile that the pectoral fins are resorbed. Try this http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=215

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store