smallest gar?

Sonsinator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
where the corruption never ends
Hey guys, which do you think is the best starter gar? Did bought an alligator gar once but didn't know that it will grow up to 7 in captivity so have to transfer it to our farm, but now I'm planning to have another gar again that would be easy to take care off and does not demand an aquarium above 300 gals...

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
check the stickys!!!
ok smallest gars are trop, florida/spotteds.
easy to keep. get max 24" in captivity but takes a long long time to get there

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;3013306; said:
check the stickys!!!
ok smallest gars are trop, florida/spotteds.
easy to keep. get max 24" in captivity but takes a long long time to get there
smallest species overall is the shortnose gar, with spotted gar following, then Florida, tropical, Cuban/longnose, alligator.

best species to keep for hobbyists are Florida and tropical--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Sonsinator;3013317; said:
Are they compatible with CK and Aro?
imo no, no doubt the combi has worked more often than not, but i still stand by the fact that they do more harm than good for gars

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;3013508; said:
imo no, no doubt the combi has worked more often than not, but i still stand by the fact that they do more harm than good for gars
gars are best kept on their own, that's true, but they are passably compatible with CK's...IME moreso than arows, although i have had the combo work with black and silver arows (it is inadvisable with Scleropages genus arows). as for the CK, the individual personality varies, but other than that just make sure they are of similar length (if not having the gar a bit bigger)--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
aren't cks more territorial & aggressive than aros? esp given their noctournal nature(ime my gars have all been pretty diurnal) i would have thought they were pretty bad tankmates for gar.

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
xander;3013915;3013915 said:
aren't cks more territorial & aggressive than aros? esp given their noctournal nature(ime my gars have all been pretty diurnal) i would have thought they were pretty bad tankmates for gar.
aros are much more aggressive IME

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store