Gar ID.......

1badspilo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
snake in the grass
I just picked this guy u last week from a moron. He was in a 20 gallon tank with like a 10 gallon filter on it:nilly:. The guy took real good care of him. Anyways he said alligator gar which I know it is not. I think it is a Florida but would like a for sure ID. He is right at 12". This is the first one I have owned. He is in a 125 with my Armatus now but will be in a 550 (6'x5'x30") in a month or 2. He is still on live food unfortunately. I am hoping to ween him soon. Does it help ween them if there is a fish with them that eats raw? Anyways, thanks for the opinions.:headbang2

002.JPG

003.JPG

Gar keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
In a pond with Gars snapping at me
Looks kinda like my Spotted Gar, however I am inclined to say that is a Florida gar that you have there, but let's wait till we hear from a few of the other more knowledgeable people on here.
A beautiful and magnificent creature you have there none-the-less... :popcorn:
Nice work

Midknight88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
Sanford Maine
www.myspace.com
That my friend is a Florida Long Nosed Gar, Also called the crocodile gar because it resembles an alligator gar ecept longer thinger snout, (like a croc diffs. From a gator) Great fish, i want one when i get a bigger tank, My goal is 600-750

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Midknight88;3022391; said:
That my friend is a Florida Long Nosed Gar, Also called the crocodile gar because it resembles an alligator gar ecept longer thinger snout, (like a croc diffs. From a gator) Great fish, i want one when i get a bigger tank, My goal is 600-750
not a croc or gator or longnose its a florida/spotted

Midknight88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2009
Sanford Maine
www.myspace.com
By the way anyone know how i can create a new thread, new to MFK and cant figure it out.

Yep you may be right.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Midknight88;3022391; said:
there is no such gar as a "Florida longnosed gar"...there are longnose gars in Florida, but they are not their own species. the fish in question is also not a crocodile gar. i would advise looking at the pinned ID keys for comparison of the species.

the fish pictured in the original post is indeed a Florida gar--
--solomon

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Kind of a cool pattern on it too. How big is your armatus? Watch out for the gar, he may try to eat it.

Not sure if having the armatus eating raw will help but I got my Florida about that size, he had eaten only feeders, and he took f/d krill without any training.

1badspilo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
snake in the grass
CTU2fan;3023778; said:
Kind of a cool pattern on it too. How big is your armatus? Watch out for the gar, he may try to eat it.

Not sure if having the armatus eating raw will help but I got my Florida about that size, he had eaten only feeders, and he took f/d krill without any training.
The Armatus is only 10". He runs him around a bit but this Gar seems super layed back. He is never skittish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store