DIY Indoor Stingray Pond (Inexpensive)

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
First, build yourself a hefty base. I made the pond 8x4' because you can pretty much buy everything at the perfect size or only will need a few simple cuts.

If you want, you could probably build it right on the floor. You could also use cinder blocks as the exterior framework.

P0000001.JPG

P0000010.JPG

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I built the frame out of 2x12's, as they were all pre-cut and very solid for a frame. They are also fairly inexpensive as well. I put a $7 sheet of paneling underneath the frame, and put support nails every foot or so, to re-inforce the 2x12's from bowing out..

After the frame was well attached, we put in the soft pre-liner..

(Ignore the very ugly room in my new house, LOL, no time to pull the panelling yet.. Fish first, house later! :) )

House 122.jpg

House 126.jpg

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Then we put in the pond liner.. It's the extra heavy duty kind.. You could probably go with a lighter one, but this was left over from a previous pond. We cut off the excess..

We also decided to get tricky and put in a bulkhead and overflow on the bottom.. :) :naughty: :grinyes:

House 127.jpg

House 128.jpg

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Finished up the bulkhead.. Got it in place.

Then we added the trim around the outside.. Some nice fencing for very inexpensive.. A little sanding and it came out very nice. This helps re-inforce the 2x12's from bowing.

And then you have a finished product! Kind of..

The best part is yet to come, when I put a 'shell' around the outside of the wood..I can use whatever color and texture I want, and cut it to fit. I have a million of options.. I will also design a nice looking lid for it to hold the humidity in and create shade, but I will have an air exchanger anyways.

House 132.jpg

House 131.jpg

House 135.jpg

Reactions: Arkangel77

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Wow that is a pretty good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com