Butterfly Hillstream Loach

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
I bought what was labeled as a Chinese Butterfly Sucker tonight at my local fish store. Upon doing some research I am thinking it is a Butterfly Hillstream Loach as the title states. I will get some pics of it asap, I got him for $10.99 did I get a deal or over pay? Also, anything special I need to know about these guys? He is in my 40g breeder planted tank with an ac50 and a xp3 for filtration. I really like the way this little guy looks, but I have only seen his top twice!

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
is this the one that looks like a mini stingray?

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
They're not hard to feed once they are used to the captive lifestyle. Algae is their primary diet but they take bloodworms, pellets, etc readily. The only issue is providing the right environment albeit cool temperature and fast flowing waters as their style of comfort. If you got Beaufortia kweichowensis, it's overpriced. Sewellia lineolata should be at right price.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
devder1;3046261; said:
is this the one that looks like a mini stingray?
Yeah, Looks like a tiny little skate!

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Lupin;3046267; said:
They're not hard to feed once they are used to the captive lifestyle. Algae is their primary diet but they take bloodworms, pellets, etc readily. The only issue is providing the right environment albeit cool temperature and fast flowing waters as their style of comfort. If you got Beaufortia kweichowensis, it's overpriced. Sewellia lineolata should be at right price.
If it likes algae hes in the right tank, I am a pro at growing that stuff, its the plants that I just cant seem to get the hang of. The lighting is a 96w power compact with a dual sunlight bulb. Do you think the output of the xp3 is strong enough if I am using the nozzle and not the spray bar? Are these guys like other loaches in that they prefer to live in groups?

Thanks for the link timeneverfreezes, looks very helpful!

abarilot

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
By the Beach!
I have two of the little guys and they are awesome!!! They havent really tackled any of the algae that grows in my tank, so you'll still might have to clean unfornuately. So far mine eat algae waffers, blood worms, brine shrimp, and I've seen them eat some zucchini! Make sure you dont keep them with aggressive tank mates cuz they cant defend themselves. I had to get rid of an a-hole rainbow shark cuz he kept picking on my them and some other fish. If you do get more and they "fight" dont worry cuz they are pretty much harmless towards each other. Good Luck with your little guy!!!

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
uncwnells;3046301; said:
If it likes algae hes in the right tank, I am a pro at growing that stuff, its the plants that I just cant seem to get the hang of. The lighting is a 96w power compact with a dual sunlight bulb. Do you think the output of the xp3 is strong enough if I am using the nozzle and not the spray bar? Are these guys like other loaches in that they prefer to live in groups?
The hillies won't care how strong the output is. They will however enjoy it. Go for it. Hillies tend to be territorial although in skirmishes lasting even 30 minutes, no damage is done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store