"live bacteria" or not

Timthedrifter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
charlotte, NC
Ok I have a question that may end up with a lot of conflicting opinions. Do all those products that claim to have "live bacteria" in a bottle acctually contain live bacteria? I have always belived them all to be junk and constantly talk people out of them at work. I dont see how any helpful bacteria can live in a bottle with no oxygen or waterflow to keep it alive, and yet I constantly see people post on here that they start thier tanks with cycle and other products. I'm just hoping someone can explain this to me, cause I've set up a lot of tanks of the last 10 years and never used anything and never had a problem.

Stump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2008
Bichir Alley
Why would you have a problem?

The point of products like "Cycle" is to aid in speeding up the bacteria growth. Apparently it is supposed to be the equivalent of seeded filter media. I've heard mixed things from different people, so I just stear clear of them.

I'd also like to hear from people who have used it on here...

Timthedrifter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
charlotte, NC
Stump;3047234; said:
Why would you have a problem?

The point of products like "Cycle" is to aid in speeding up the bacteria growth. Apparently it is supposed to be the equivalent of seeded filter media. I've heard mixed things from different people, so I just stear clear of them.

I'd also like to hear from people who have used it on here...
Sorry poor wording, Its not that I expect to have a problem. I guess I'm just curious whats actually in these bottles.

thatonegirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Honestly, I wish I could answer that knowledeably. I have used and recommend Stability by Seachem, and it does seem to shorten cycling times (not like, instantly safe like it claims, but still faster).

I don't know what's in it or why it works. It just... seems to. I will have to call Seachem and find out what they have to say on the matter.

I used to recommend Bio-Spira. My store sells it refridgerated. They had a huge colony collapse a few years ago, and their product hasn't been the same since.

I got a free sample of Cycle by Nutrafin, which is a Hagen company. Maybe it's time to do an applied science experiment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store