Proofreaders come, i i need your help

xdragonxb0i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Arkansas
If you guys didn't know, i am writing an opposition paper on hr 669. I need help proofreading it. If you guys are willing to help me edit my paper, please post saying so, and i will send you the paper via PM. Also, tell me if you need the file in any specific format. Currently in .docx format (office 2007)

xdragonxb0i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Arkansas
bump too late, i already sent it in.
ill add it on here so you guys can read it. i had to get rid of the memfish citation, couldn't get in contact with them in time. if you cant read it. give me your email and ill send it. the forum wont let me add a doc file on here

[FONT=&quot]David Huynh[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dr. Cline[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]English comp. 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15 April 2009[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Preventing the Downfall of the American Pet Industry[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]On April 23, 2009, the bill H.R 669 will be voted by the United States House of Representatives; the bill can negatively change the long history of pet owners and their faithful and loving companions. H.R 669 is referred to as: “Non-native Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act” (Pijac).The purpose is to ban and regulate non-native species being imported, sold, and transported in the United States. “Non-Native” animals are any animals that are not normally found in North America including such familiar animals as: rabbits, hamsters, and goldfishes (H.R. Bill 669). The pet industry and animal hobbyists will be negatively affected if H.R. 669, the “Non-native Wildlife Invasion Act,” is ratified into a law. HR 669 should be strongly opposed because it will only hurt the American 43 billion dollar Pet Industry; also, every state and territory has ratified their own state laws to prevent flagged species from being imported into their states (H.R. 669 MFK letter). In addition, the bill most likely will preserve the population of invasive animals in the United State, and do little to preventing and identify new species that may cause ill-harm to the American ecosystem and economy. Pet Owners should be wary of the potential damage if the bill is passed; the bill has the power to greatly destroy the pet industry and restrict our ability to purchase and obtain new pets. The bill supports a “guilty until proven innocent” approach (Witmer). All species of animals: fishes, reptiles, insects, birds, and mammals will be banned until the:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] The Secretary of the Interior, acting through the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, shall promulgate regulations that establish a process for assessing the risk of all nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation into the United States, other than non-native wildlife species that are included in the list of approved species issued under section 4. (H.R. Bill 669)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All species will be banned until the Secretary of the Interior finds that a specific species is deemed safe and non-hazardous to the United State’s Ecosystem and Economy. All animals will be considered dangerous to the United States until a specific species is considered safe. For example, the species[/FONT]Carassius auratus auratus commonly called the Goldfish will be considered a dangerous animal and will be banned until the Secretary of the Interior have examine and assessed the goldfish. For each animal that is examined and assessed, we will have to pay a fee before the animal can be assessed and be put on the approved list.[FONT=&quot] Although, the bill is trying to prevent non-native animals from harming the United State’s Ecosystem and Economy it will most likely promote destruction of the United State’s ecosystem and hurt our economy. In 2009, the United States economy is at a staggering all time low. The H.R. 669 Bill will drastically decrease revenue in the pet industry and negatively affecting the US economy. This year the pet industry is expected to reach and all time high revenue. The pet industry is estimated to exceed 45 billion dollars in revenue (APPA). The total revenue for the pet industry in 2008 was 43 billion dollars; of the 43 billion dollars, Americans spent 17 billion dollars on animal food, 2 billion dollars buying new pets, 3 billion dollars on pet services, and a staggering 21 billion dollars on medicine and visits to the vet (APPA). The pet industries are the few industries that are still doing well in today’s economy; companies like Doggyspace.com report 236 percent growth (Doggyspace). If HR669 is passed, it will reduce the total number of pets being bought each year; since there are fewer animal purchases each year there will be a domino effect on the other industries. If we have fewer pets we will buy less pet food, spend less money on pet care, and spend less on pet grooming. In addition, if the pet food industry, vet care industry, and pet service industry suffer so will the industries that supply raw materials to the pet industries such as: meat industry, medicine industry, and clothing industry. The mass effects of restricting non-native pets will be felt across American industries and may severely strangle the American economy. If H.R. 669 is allowed to pass large franchises such as PetSmart may survive; but it will cripple small business and put an end to private business. According to Google finance, PetSmart made over 4.6 billion dollars in revenue in 2008; there is no way a small mom and pop store could ever achieve revenue such as PetSmart (Google Petsmart). Memfish is locally own by (name) and can be found in Memphis, Tennessee. (Name) states that at least 95 percent of entire live animal stock is non-native. In addition, live animal sales are the main source of income for Memfish. Without live fish sales, Memfish will go out of business and other locally own pet stores will be crippled by the effects of the bill. A large percentage of non-native animals come from tropical regions; tropical climates rarely reach less than 70 degrees Fahrenheit at night. There are over 2500 species of non-native fish that is imported yearly into the United States (H.R. 669 MFK letter). I have been keeping fish for 5 years and find that most fish will die if the temperature of the water falls below 60 degrees. In the continental United States, temperate climates can be mostly found throughout America. The only states that can be considered to have tropical climates are Florida and Hawaii (North America Climate). Although the southern tip of Florida may be partially tropical its average temperature in the winter months still can reach a chilly 40 degrees, way too cold for tropical fishes (Florida Climate). Hawaii is the only state with a temperate climate that stays above 70 degrees year round (Hawaii Climate). With its warm climates, Hawaii has the greatest risk of non-native animal invasion; but with such a high chance of an invasion Hawaii has already issued their own state laws to protect against unwanted animals. In addition there are federal laws that have already banned certain invasive species in the United States such as the Lacey Act. The Lacey act prevents obtaining and selling unlawful animals and plants including endangered animals and invasive species. (Lacey Act). In Florida, they have banned fishes such as snakeheads and tilapia (OddBall). Snakeheads are an invasive species that have establish itself in several waterways in the United States and prey on many native fish. The tilapia is mostly used as a food source for human consumption but is a danger to Florida because they spawn very quickly. Florida have ban these from being sold live in their state, because of its large appetite and regular spawning. Also, Hawaii has also listed their own laws to stop invasive species that do include invasive species like tilapia and snakeheads. Florida and Hawaii are not isolated states that have issued laws regulating animals; according to Oddball he found 39 other states that have a ban on animals. The purpose H.R. 669 is to prevent invasive animals from destroying the American ecosystem and economy, but in section 14, the bill will allow many invasive species to live freely in the United States. The most common invasive species that are allowed include: dogs, pigs, and cats. They are approximately 75 million dogs, 14 million pigs, and 83 million cats in the United States in 2008 (APPA). According to Paul Mann, CEO of FETCH!, 71 million households in American own one pet or more (Fetch Pet Care). In urban cities and rural areas feral dogs are an increasing problem in the United States, feral dogs pose a threat on our safety, ecosystem, and economy. According to St. Louis Post Dispatch, feral dogs were eating a 10-year-old boy in St. Louis (Mott). In Italy, feral dogs are now outcompeting wolves for food and territory; in urban or rural environment feral dogs and wolves hunt for food from out dumpsters or hunt domesticated livestock or wild animals (Boffey). In the United States, Feral dogs attack and kill live stock worth 37 million dollars a year (APPA). The problem is that it is hard to distinguish Feral dogs from our pet dogs, most feral dogs are strays dogs; because feral dogs look like our pets we are not alarmed whenever we see a feral dog roaming our streets. In rural areas, wild pigs roam American plains and forest causing havoc to American farmers. On June 14, 2004, “Hogzilla” was shot and killed on an Alabama farm; Hogzilla was estimated to weight a whopping 800 pounds and was measured 6 feet long (Hogzilla). Hogzilla may be a rare incident, but they are probably more hogs like him that are ravaging farmer’s crops in the United States. Robert Collins is a sugarcane farmer that has to defend his crops against hog attacks. Robert have reported 20, 000 dollars in losses by the hogs, in addition Robert spend as much as 10,000 a year trying to prevent wild hogs from destroying his crops (Jenkins). Wild pigs are now a growing concern in America for farmers and hunters. They destroy thousands of dollars in crops each year, and can cause injury to people that may be exploring the wilderness. In a 2003 report by the University of Florida Conservation clinic (UFCCC), UFCCC claim to estimate 40-60 million free roaming cats are in the United States and approximately 15 million stray cats can be found roaming the streets of Florida (University of Florida). Stray cats an increasing problem in the United States; they mainly hunt and prey on small mammals and birds. In addition to predation, stray cats carry much disease that can be passed on to people and other animals; cat fever and hook worms are few diseases that can be passed on by scratches from a cat. (University of Florida). According the UFCCC, domesticated cats are an establish predators in Florida and hunt many endangered animals. Lower Keys marsh rabbit, green sea turtles, and Florida scrub-jay are just a few endangered animals that face predations from domesticated cats; consequently 53% of Lower Keys marsh rabbit die from cats each year (University of Florida). House-hold cats may cause many small mammals in the United States like the Lower Keys marsh rabbit to become instinct. Cats have long been an successful predator worldwide; not only do they pose a threat to endangered animals but also help spread disease to wildlife and to humans. Animal regulation is needed to protect the environment and the economy, but HR669 is not the way to deal with invasive animals. HR669 is a flawed bill, by banning all non-native animals; the pet industry will suffer from enormous loss in revenue. Federal acts like the Lacey Act have been amended multiple times to restrict invasive animals; in addition if invasive animals are not regulated by federal law, states like Florida and Hawaii have already establish laws to prevent an invasive animal invasion. HR669 was constructed to prevent damage to the environment and economy, but is contradictive because the bill allows many invasive species to roam freely and destroy farmlands and kill native animals in the United States. State regulation of invasive animals is good way to prevent invasive animals. Each state have its own risk for invasive animals; because of the vast temperate climates in the United States, chilly-northern states like New York does not have to worry about tropical animals, unlike southern states like Florida which stay fairly warm throughout the year.[/FONT]

Works Cited

Work Citation
APPA. 15 april 2009. 15 april 2009 <http://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp>.
Boffey, Philiip M. "Italy's Wild Dogs Winnning Darwinian Battle." New York Times 13 December 1983: http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?inde...QT=309&VName=PQD&TS=1239895726&clientId=20109.
"Doggyspace." 4 march 2009. ProQuest. 21 april 2009 <http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=23&did=950286131&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=2&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=PQD&TS=1239895726&clientId=20109>.
"Fetch Pet Care." 8 July 2009. Proquest. 21 April 2009 <http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=3&did=1507695271&SrchMode=1&sid=4&Fmt=3&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=PQD&TS=1238697030&>.
Florida Climate. 21 March 2009. 20 March 2009 <http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/data.pl?ref=N33W110+1204+1025512G2>.
Google Petsmart. 21 04 2009. 21 04 2009 <http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3APETM>.
"H.R. 669 MFK letter." 13 April 2009. 15 April 2009 <http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/hr669/hr669letter.pdf>.
"H.R. Bill 669." 26 Jan 2009. 15 April 2009 <http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h669ih.txt.pdf>.
Hawaii Climate. 21 march 2009. 18 march 2009 <http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/data.pl?ref=N21W157+1102+91182W>.
Hogzilla. 23 April 2009. 23 April 2009 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogzilla>.
Jenkins, Melissa. Farmers and Pigs. 23 October 2007. 24 April 2009 <http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=1370344291&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=20109&RQT=309&VName=PQD >.
Lacey Act. Federal . 1995.
Mott, Maryann. "U.S. Facing Feral-Dog Crisis." 2003 August 2003: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/08/0821_030821_straydogs.html.
"North America Climate." chart. 2009.
OddBall. Restricted Species by State. 19 August 2006. 24 april 2009 <http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191893>.
University of Florida. "Feral Cats Colonies in Florida." January 2003. 21 April 2009 <http://www.law.ufl.edu/conservation/pdf/feralcat.pdf>.
Witmer, Gary W., Patrick W. Burke, Will C. Pitt, Michael L. Avery. "management of Invasive vertevrates in the united states: an overview." 2007. USDA. 20 april 2009.

Cholly

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Metro Atlanta
Oh crap. HR669 specifically allows for rabbits and goldfish, two of your three example animals at the very beginning. I think you may have gone off too soon. Guinea pigs and guppies would have worked, still very common, animals few people would object to, but still not on the approved list.

Marius

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Not sure if you caught onto this or not
[FONT=&quot]House-hold cats may cause many small mammals in the United States like the Lower Keys marsh rabbit to become instinct. Cats have long been an successful predator worldwide; not only do they pose a threat to endangered animals but also help spread disease to wildlife and to humans.
It's "extinct". Well written by the way.
[/FONT]

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
I stopped here but..

"In addition, the bill most likely will preserve the population of invasive animals in the United State, and do little to preventing and identify new species that may cause ill-harm to the American ecosystem and economy."

greatfulxdead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2008
STL
There's a lot to be gone through by someone who knows english really well. I'd take it to a professor if I were you. I read it, but I know I don't have perfect english. Other than the few typos, it is a great letter or opposition. Now lets just hope they don't open it and put it in the shredder or wipe their asses with it... Although I don't think this outrageous bill will ever be passed with or without our help, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store