Eheim 2262 classic, 2080, or fx5???

bumlethal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Vietnam
hello every1.......i just got a 150 gallon tank....im itching to set it up but first things first i need a filter to handle it....rite now im debating on either the eheim 2262 classic, the eheim 2080, or the fluval fx5....my ol man has had his eheim 2260 for years now.....5 maybe 10 years and counting so i know that the 2262s pretty good but im more of the modern type and would like to go with the newer 2080......the only thing about these two are that they are double the cost of a fluval fx5.....and ive heard some good things about the fluval........any1 experience these filters?......any other suggestions? pretty much wat i want are pros and cons so i can set this tank up already.....thanks.....

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
You have 3 Good filters listed.

Ehiem 2262 will hold I believe 18L of media and will have roughly the same flow rate as the Fx5 which will be around 500-700 GPH. The Fx5 has a 600 GPH filter flow rate. Don't be fooled by the 900GPH marketing scam.

The Eheim 2080 will have a flow rate less than 350 GPH and hold 12 liters of media.

The Fx5 holds the least amount of media topping at almost 6 liters with a 600 GPH flow rate.

If you have the money, go with the Eheim 2262.

The Eheim 2080 is very good at bio filtration. In fact Both Eheims will kill the Fx5 at bio filtration because of a few things. Contact time with the media, water velocity through the media and the amount of media.

The Fx5 will less contact time, higher velocity and less media than the other Eheims listed

Now if you want good mechanical filtration, I would go with one of the three filters with higher flow rates. The Fx5 does a great job, however, using small partical filtration pads or filter fiber will clog up usually within a month. The 2262 will not have this issue.

The Fx5 is able to be modified though. After modification you can make it hold roughly 10-12 liters of media instead of just over 5. You will increase the cross sectional surface area for small partical filtration meaning it will not clog nearly as fast, you will also slow down water velocty through the media and increase media contact time. All of which are very good.
Internal Mod HERE

There is a new small mod to the Fx5 which could work in conjunction with the mod spoken about above. This particular mod could solve the purging issue that you have after the modification IF you do not modifiy the cover correctly. The link above will show you how I did it but failed early because I did not use the correct adheasive. It did work 100% though and very quickly.
This purging mod can be found HERE

So its up to you. If you are a DIYer and wouldn't mind spending a little extra $$ on some small things to modify the Fx5, then I would go that route. However if you have the money and want a high flow rate and lots of media, go with the 2262.

Reactions: Cabinetman 1

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I think I forgot to mention that I own a Fx5. Over 2 years old I think. The motor is used, but the canister is new, lol, I was swapping parts around for awhile.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Jgray152;3056313; said:
You have 3 Good filters listed.
:grinno:

The 2262 beats both others hands down (just not in price).

The 2080 is suitable for tanks 75 gal or smaller (use the search function and enter my name and 2080, and you'll find out more). The 2080 is probably the least suitable for your needs. I wouldn't call it a "good filter"...

The FX5 is great at mech but could be better in bio. Besides, browse this forum for filter troubles, and you'll see the FX5 pop up more than any of the Classic Eheims.

Just my $0.02 :D
HarleyK

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
i believe you can buy the 2260, and then the pump for the 2262 for a little more than what a 2262 costs. same filter and you have an extra pump if needed or for other projects.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
dmopar74;3057159; said:
i believe you can buy the 2260, and then the pump for the 2262 for a little more than what a 2262 costs. same filter and you have an extra pump if needed or for other projects.
If you do it right it works out for less to buy the 2260 and the 2262 head seperately.

bumlethal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Vietnam
lots of great info.......thanks every1.......as of rite now the polls are leaning toward the 2262......im hoping to have a community gar/bichir setup and im gonna need a good bio setup so i think im leaning toward the 2262....(ima try the 2260 with 2262 head).......thanks every1 for their .02....ill be keeping my eyes on this thread so any other thoughts will be taken to consideration

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
The 2262 beats both others hands down (just not in price).

The 2080 is suitable for tanks 75 gal or smaller (use the search function and enter my name and 2080, and you'll find out more). The 2080 is probably the least suitable for your needs. I wouldn't call it a "good filter"...

The FX5 is great at mech but could be better in bio. Besides, browse this forum for filter troubles, and you'll see the FX5 pop up more than any of the Classic Eheims.

Just my $0.02 :D
HarleyK
Don't be so arrogant.

You obviously did not understand my entire post. He does have 3 good filters listed. Regardless of what YOU think. The 2262 has its draw backs too. First, it uses more electricity than the Fx5 which puts out as much or more flow. This is because it uses a cheap impeller desgin. Its also larger than the Fx5 which means for some, they can't hide it.

A modded Fx5 with 12 liters of media at 600 GPH will be way more than enough for his tank with a lesser electrical bill in the long run.

The 2080 is also a good filter. The 2080 will not be so great for mechanical in a 150 gallon because of the lower flow rate. But depending on the bio load, it could handle it. I personally would steer away from the 2080 for his setup. Just because it may not work for HIS tank, does not mean its a "bad filter".

The only way the 2262 will beat the 2080 and Fx5 in bio filtration, is if the biological needs of the aquarium exceed the capability of the Fx5 or 2080. Otherwise, your paying for media storage your not going to use.

Most of the thread I find are from people wondering what media to use, for some reason. Many will buy the filter, and all of a sudden it shuts off and they freak out and make a thread about it only to realize that's what it does. I have seen only about 4 or 5 with actual problems with the pumps operation and that is through a few boards. I am not talking about air getting into the canister because that is 99% of the time operator error.

Also, No one ever said the "Fluval" is better than "Eheim" in terms of reliability and performance.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Jgray152;3058325; said:
Don't be so arrogant.
I'm not arrogant, I just know better :p
On a serious note, this forum just like any other exchange of knowledge is based on personal experiences of individuals. I experience the my 2262 as very pleasant, the only reason my 2080 is still running is that I wouldn't get my money's worth out of it if I sold it, and I have a tank small enough for it to perform reasonably (75 gal)

Jgray152;3058325; said:
The 2262 has its draw backs too. First, it uses more electricity than the Fx5 which puts out as much or more flow.
That's a drop in the bucket considering all the other appliances that keep a tank alive

Jgray152;3058325; said:
Its also larger than the Fx5 which means for some, they can't hide it.
The 2262 fits under a standard 6' stand. Might be tight under the 150gal, I give you that!

Jgray152;3058325; said:
The 2080 will not be so great for mechanical in a 150 gallon because of the lower flow rate.
Wrong. The 2080 has tremendous by-pass, that's why it sucks in mech. It's a faulty design.

Jgray152;3058325; said:
A modded Fx5
If I have to mod a filter in order for it to perform, then I'd rather upgrade and get a filter that lives up to my expectations.
Yes, I also drive a stock car, I don't even mod my Harley.

HarleyK

dennisdeng2002

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Maryland
Canisters are in general all the same, the classic series have minimal bypass which is a little better than most canisters, but what makes or breaks canisters are their pumps. Eheim hobby pumps are considered one the best pumps (I would say iwakis are the best) in this hobby and will last you 10+ years of great and quiet service. But on a side note are you considering a sump for your setup? A sump when properly set up has a lot more benefits than a canister.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store