Overstocked Aquarium Questions

quikksilver8

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater
Hey everyone I've just noticed some threads (for example http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59793&highlight=male+green+terror ) showing some really crowded tanks. They look awsome, but my question is how do you keep the nitrates from building up. Is there some sort of secret to keeeping tanks like that. Just wondering, like what filtration is most efficient how frequent water changes should be done etc. THe reason I'm asking is because I have a 90 gallon that I dont consider to be overstocked but my nitrates shoot up rather quickly, but I never have any nitrite or ammonia.

Thanks in advance

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
the only real way would to be eitehr to have a ton of live plants + frequent water changes or VERY frequent water changes w/o live plants

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
You'd have to have a jungle of plants to make a difference to some of the tanks here! Water changes are the only real way to make it happen, but it is a cruel way to keep most fish. Some fish, Mbuna for example, live in high densities in the wild, but most fish would find a crowded tank very stressful.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
Alot of those tanks probably get very large water changes several times a week. The best way to do it would be to set up a drip system or continues water changer. So that it constantly gets new and fresh water. Alot of people set there drip systems up to change say 300g a week on a 300g tank. And then still do a water change every week to every other week. So search drip systems

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
weekly water changes. and no overfeeding.

thats what I used to do. my tanks used to be as overstocked as anyone's

my old 90 and 65:

water always clear, fish very healthy. no ammo. no nitrites, nitrates probably stayed around 40=50+ all the time, but never go higher because of the regular maintainence. remember, nitrates are not so bad.

big water changes once per week (about 40g out of the 90 and 25g out of the 65):

IMG_2383.JPG

velanarris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
Nashua NH
Nitrates over 50ppm can be really really bad. Nitrates displace O2 in water, in an overstocked tank that's even less room to breathe.

Overstocking is not a good idea, ever.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
velanarris;3065771; said:
Nitrates over 50ppm can be really really bad. Nitrates displace O2 in water, in an overstocked tank that's even less room to breathe.

Overstocking is not a good idea, ever.
Nitrates at 50 is debatable I have read it to death and basically motoro stingrays will breed at 150. I personally keep mine at 20 or less and since I got RO I keep it at less than 10 I don't over stock at all though. You are correct about oxygen but most people that are overstocked are also over filtered otherwise it would not last a week before massive fish die off happened

To the OP 50% water changes twice a week and a sump half the size of the tank is a good way to overstock. Even better would be a drip with water changes.

quikksilver8

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater
I dont want to overstock my tank and i do overfilter my tank, i was just wondering because if my nitrates go up rather quickley I cant imagine one of those tanks. Just seing if there was any other way to reduce nitrates besides water changes. figured there had to be another way.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
I have a 125 and making my 55 the sump for it. Also my parents on the 25 of May(my B-day:) :))will be getting me a FX5. I'll be way filtered for this tank. I will have at bare min my 12 and 14 inch florida gars,7-8 inch bullhead catfish, silver aro, and at least another catfish maybe a bichir who knows. Some of these fish won't be able to live here forever but for a good while. It'll be overstocked but with the amount of filtration on it plus weekly 50% water changes at least it'll be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store