Tankmates with JARDINI (READ!!!)

RedTigrinus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
MA
I will have To agree with you. In my experience with jardini arowanas I have come across mostly aggressive specimens that in the end have to be kept alone. I have delt with about 12 Jardinis in my fish keeping ventures and I have only seen 2 that co-exist with other fish. The rest were very aggressive towards tankmates and have killed dozens of fish. The that were ok with tankmates were raised with fish slightly larger then them when they were about 4" and both fish were raised to about 30"(these fish were kept on seperate occasions. I tried keeping the others with tankmates of all sorts and fish and had no luck, all they did was beat the crap out of their tankmates. So from my experience I'd have to say that jardinis are great fish but they aren't for everyone. If you going to attempt to keep this fish be aware that they can be very aggressive towards tankmates. My suggestion would be to keep them in a large tank with tankmates slightly larger than them. Thanks Steve_89 for starting this thread I think that the info your giving is very accurate and I aggree with your thoughts.

Reactions: dr exum

awesum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Earth
steve is right about the 8" mark. I've had 2 jardini's and when they hit around 8" it's game overs for all the tankmates.

Reactions: Leolim

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
I appreciate this thread. I was considering buying one and whenever I buy fish and a new tank, I always seem to buy another then another and so on. Well, now I am reconsidering because no one wants a tank that has you stressed about whats going to happen next. I think I will pass on the Jardini and leave it for the people who can enjoy a tank with one fish in it. Thanks again.

Bassjedi

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2006
Houston
I had a Jardini that was fine with some oscars until around 10". At that point he go progressively meaner until I had him with just a large ornate bichir and a large pleco. He started beating up on both of them as well (killed the bichir, which was about 12") and so eventually he had to be alone. Meanest fish I ever had. You are definitely rolling the dice.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Steve_89 said:
Jardini also have a reputation to suddenly become aggressive after they hit the 8 inch mark. This has been found out by a lot of hobbyists so do not be fooled into thinking your Jardini is one of the tankmate tolerant ones. You may find out that suddenly your Jardini has gone on a killing spree. It has happened before…
This part is totally true.

I've been trying to tell people that who say "nah my jardini is fine"

Sometime between 8 and 12 inches they'll suddenly turn and start picking off your tankmates.

it'll start with the jardini casually snapping at or nipping tankmates that get in it's way, and from there is escalates to vicious beatings, ripping fish up and killing them.

But people get fooled, mine seemed like a complete softy at 6 inches, a couple of months later and it was a mean bastard.

milk_and_mallard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
san diego
Hey steve, thanks for starting this thread. I had been contemplating whether to add a jardini to my community tank for sometime now. Seeing some of the posts here, i think i'll pass. You probably ended up saving me money and dead fish. Thanks again.

cheers,

Reactions: J. H.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
I'm glad it helped some of you :thumbsup:

ROSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
connecticut
rumblesushi said:
This part is totally true.

I've been trying to tell people that who say "nah my jardini is fine"

Sometime between 8 and 12 inches they'll suddenly turn and start picking off your tankmates.

it'll start with the jardini casually snapping at or nipping tankmates that get in it's way, and from there is escalates to vicious beatings, ripping fish up and killing them.

But people get fooled, mine seemed like a complete softy at 6 inches, a couple of months later and it was a mean bastard.
Bro I agree with you 100% ,and have heard about jardini 's sudden agression at around a certin size and age ..

But you have to understand some ppl my have been the exception and have been able to house large jar's and other's... each fish is it's own
but for the most part I would'nt try it with my present fish :grinno: :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store