firemouth X convict crossbreeding

GODZALLA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
IN FISH PARADISE
hi ppl ..

what do u think about cross breeding firemouth female with a male convict ??

and can i just put them both ( only the 2 of them ) in a tank and wait until they pair off or what to do ??

do any one did it before and have pics for the hybrid ?!!

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
I guess I'll bump this topic... Did you attempt it? The hybrid looks alright, and in the next week I'll be joining my convict and firemouth to see what happens.

rhettdepauw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Iowa City
www.rhettdepauw.com
have had a female con male fm living in the same 20 long for a while now. nothing has happened thus far after 2 months. But i have tons of cons in another tank, maybe they just dont like eachother

rhettdepauw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Iowa City
www.rhettdepauw.com

Jory

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
las vegas, NV
for those who hate links:
convict was male, firemouth was female:

if firemouth is male and convict is female:

sorry i didnt resize the images, but here ya go!
:thumbsup:

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Ohh, those aren't as nice as the google ones... I had to post the google link because MFK blocks WW links:screwy:

rhettdepauw;3202284; said:
ahhh yes, i have considered him to be a female but most signs point to male so im keeping my hopes up, lol. i do however understand that in most cases FM can be impossible to sex unless they have been proven.
Scope 'him' out and look as his vent size. If the vent looks wide it should be a female, but if it's smaller it should be a male.
Compare the size to the anus.

I just joined my two, and if nothing happens for a couple weeks, I'm going to replace my male convict for a female convict. My FM is chasing the convict with just little nudges... Cross your fingers :D

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Sorry for the double post, but my FM isn't nudging the convict anymore. My convict won't do anything back though he's just taking it... Kind of upsetting and it's making me mad.
I'm getting a female asap tomorrow.

Hdeuce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2008
Syracuse
my firemouth and convict have also bred male firemouth/ female convict. The fry were born between last night and this morning and are still really tiny, how long before i should start to pull the fry and place them in there own tank? Currently in the tank the fish have bred in i have the firemouth, the convict, a small rubberlip pleco, a jack dempsey, a blooc parrot and a bichir.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store