I Got a Letter From My Congress Member

topoftheline77

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
When I first found out about this I went to a website and filed out a form to send a letter to my Congress Member and I got a letter back from him today. It reads:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your communication regarding your opposition to H.R. 669, the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act, I appreciate the opportunity to learn of your views.

Wisconsin faces a threat from several invasive species, including the gypsy moth, the sea lamprey and Asian carp. These, and other invasive species, threaten to damage our farms, our fishing, our recreation industry, and the environment. While much of the work to control these species is done at the state and local level, the federal government coordinates with state and local governments to limit the spread of invasive species and reduce their impacts.

As you may know, the United States does not require animal species being imported to be screened for diseases or invasiveness. Many claim that under current law, it takes federal managers several years to ban individual species from being imported to the U.S., and these bans are usually made long after the species has entered the country and done substantial damage.

In light of the problems that invasive species can present to habitats, H.R. 669 would modernize existing law, and require the Secretary of Interior to consult with scientists, experts, and the public to assess the potential risk associated with species proposed for impact. H.R. 669 jas beem referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources for further review.

I understand the serious damage that invasive species can do to our wildlife and economy. I am also aware that legislation such as this can gave unintended consequences on pet owners of species that pose no threat to the natural environment. Be assured, I will keep your thoughts in mind should H.R. 669 reach the floor of the House of Representatives for a vote.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

F. JAMES SENSENBRENNER, JR.
It looks like he did his research and it's cool that he took the time out of his day to contact a 17 year old boy who can't even vote. Did anybody else receive something like this?

cguarino30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
USA
seems kinda generic. He doesn't say what his position is.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
One of the co-sponsors of the bill is from Wisconsin. He may be in the ear of his colleague judging by his letter. I'm glad you got a response.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
cguarino30;3083829; said:
seems kinda generic. He doesn't say what his position is.
I interned for a senator years ago, basically that's a form letter.
The senator I worked for (not saying all of them do this) had about 20 college interns working for him (free) and we would organize letters into general categories and tally the numbers for him. Basically the office was getting a sample of his constituents thoughts, concerns, and issues that were important at the time. These numbers are a real-time gauge of what's going on in that state. So the point I'm making is every letter and phone call counts, the actual senator most likely never sees the individual letter but they do see the numbers. My senator had a policy that every letter received a response, postage and interns are free so I bet a lot of senators do the same thing. You know your letter was counted because of the response, the response was generic because some collage kid wrote it.

TrikkyMakk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Tampa, Florida
topoftheline77;3083806; said:
When I first found out about this I went to a website and filed out a form to send a letter to my Congress Member and I got a letter back from him today. It reads:

It looks like he did his research and it's cool that he took the time out of his day to contact a 17 year old boy who can't even vote. Did anybody else receive something like this?
This is a generic letter. I am really sure he will keep it in mind. :ROFL:

This shouldn't even be a federal issue. How much time do you really think he has even spent looking at the issue? If anything the government will make it worse.

velanarris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
Nashua NH
Rally against big federal government in all forms. It's not the right of the feds to determine what the states control but the converse. The states determine the feds rights. 669 is against that.

that one guy

Algae Spore
MFK Member
"the gypsy moth, the sea lamprey and Asian carp" are all naturally invasive species. i had to write about them.

they aren't purposefully transported so the bill wont do anything to stop them!!!

chefrific

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
Georgia
I got one of these too from my congressman. see below:

ltr from cng.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store