ray not eating

60mm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
va
my 7" retic ray has not eaten in like 3 days and i'm really starting to worry.
My water conditions are perfect the temp is 81 .
I've tryed night crawlers and red worms, but he still won't eat . is there anything i can do ?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
60mm said:
my 7" retic ray has not eaten in like 3 days and i'm really starting to worry.
My water conditions are perfect the temp is 81 .
I've tryed night crawlers and red worms, but he still won't eat . is there anything i can do ?
how long have you had the ray ?

60mm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
va
also he is in a 135gal tank with a tetra pf500 a cascade 300 and a rainbow lifegaurd fb300 fluidized bed filter.

F

FishHeadSoup

what exactly are your water conditions?

give us some numbers please....

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
60mm said:
was the ray feeding ok before or is it an ongoing thing trying to get it to feed

if its was feeding well before then up the water changes and the temp and see if that helps

got any pics so we can see if the ray is realy skinny or not

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
Is it a new ray or have you had it awhile?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Substrate? If it's a bad substrate, could be a problem.

Tankmates? Aggressive tankmates can cause stress..

Lighting Schedule? Too much light or too bright of light could possibly stress your ray out..

Has the ray been losing weight even though it has been feeding regularly? (Could be improperly QT'ed before you got it, still has parasites..)

Water Changes, Heat(82-84), Salt, No Stress.. Feed Live foods like black worms, ghost shrimp to stimulate eating.. Try to get onto chopped worms or red worms.

60mm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2006
va
Miles said:
Substrate? If it's a bad substrate, could be a problem.

Tankmates? Aggressive tankmates can cause stress..

Lighting Schedule? Too much light or too bright of light could possibly stress your ray out..

Has the ray been losing weight even though it has been feeding regularly? (Could be improperly QT'ed before you got it, still has parasites..)

Water Changes, Heat(82-84), Salt, No Stress.. Feed Live foods like black worms, ghost shrimp to stimulate eating.. Try to get onto chopped worms or red worms.

the substrate is the black titanium moon sand mixed with some white to lighten it up alittle.

tank mates are a 5" silver aro, 3 small barbs ,4 black skirt tetras, and 3 really small silver fish (sorry i forgot the name) none of the fish in the tank seem to even notice him.

lighting is 2- 20" strips with the normal fresh water bulbs (there not that bright for the size of the tank)

weekly 35- 40% water changes

i was feeding him cut up night crawlers and he was chowing down, last night i tryed the red worms and no luck.

i haven't noticed any weight loss even since he stopped feeding

and i have had him for 3 months and up untill i would say friday he was eating like a pig

oh and i'll get the water info when i get home

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Hmmm..

Well depending on the type of Barbs, sometimes they will attempt to 'graze' on rays or even peck at them.. I know Tiger Barbs can be nippy at time, especially if they aren't in a large enough school..

The strip lights might entail it is a fairly small tank.. What size is the actual tank? Anything that can stress the ray, such as lack of turning space, could cause him to stop eating.

I would keep attempting to feed those chopped worms!

Try to peek at his underside if you can.. if its pink or reddish, you could have a few problems.. Such as an irritable sand substrate or ammonia in the tank, not breaking down fast enough..

Also, I dont know much about the black titanium moon sand, but hopefully it's ray safe.. and make sure the white sand you mixed in isn't silica based.. Make sure that the moon sand isn't calcium based like aragonite, or it will mess with your water chemistry..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store