Need expert's advice. WTH is this?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Did some reading and others have said it's a result from wounds.

I can tell you the ray is acting perfectly fine. Does NOT refuse any food regardless of what's offered. VERY un picky. Ray is still just as active as it usually is. Seems unaffected healthwise at this time.

Here's the pics...... PLEASE tell me what is going on here. WTH are these bumps?

IMG_6250.JPG

IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6257.JPG

IMG_6258.JPG

IMG_6265.JPG

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
How longs it been this way?

Results from wounds? What kind of wound did they claim it to be from?

Introduce anything new lately?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Anything new??? LOL NO WAY. I'm absolutely done with "anything new". No more rays for this guy..... Too many = fun GONE. Slavery begins.

Wounds = bites.

I never saw any kind of marks on the ray to indicate any bites. Just doing routine maintainance and saw it.

The thread I was reading said one person believed it to be wounds, another said they scraped them off and had no further issues.

From what I gathered from the other thread it didn't seem fatal..... HOWEVER I believe anything that makes us scratch our head and wonder WTH needs to have a closer look.

I'm worried it's some kind of eggs from something undesireable.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Are you considering scraping them off?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
my female motoro has a small spot like this. she has had it her whole life w no spreading or anything. i figured it to be a wound or birthmark.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
me and a firend of mine who also has some hystrix have noticed these on the hystrix from time to time. Not sure what it is but comes and goes... doesn't seem to affect them. maybe just a rash from sand?

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
I have had it on my female motoro as well, went away after a while, I just assumed it was growth marks or something

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Doubting it to be sand related. There is a small patch of sand in this 40 gallon breeder that is no larger then 2-3 times the size of the ray. The rest is barebottom. The ray enjoys sifting through the "sandbox".

I've had this ray for over 4 months. Kinda funny they just magically appear one day.

Am I considering scraping them off? Not really sure. IF anyone here would like a sample to tell me WTH it is I would definetly scrape... But the general consensus seems to me to be harmless so I'm not sure what I should do.....

This is half the reason for the post..... General knowledge. I did some research when I first found them and came to the conclusion it's not worth losing sleep over, however I thought maybe if we give it the proper attention we can make it go away. Was hoping someone was familiar with exactly what it is and if there is indeed a remedy.

Maybe I should have started a poll....LOL To scrape or not to scrape.... IF it was any other ray I probobly would.... But this is my lil girl. She means a whole lot to me.

csx4236

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
USA
Rays are born with these bumps, I have seen many pups with same marks right after brith with this. I think they are more like birth marks or something like that. Not from wounds or anything else I have seen cause it.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
IF the ray had the bumps when it arrived to me I would ignore it alltogether, but like I said, these things just appeared out of no where.......

Thank you for the input guys..... I guess I won't be losing sleep over it......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store