How Long Have You Been Fishkeeping...

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
How Long have you been fishkeeping.... and do you think you know all you need to know.... or do you think your still learning... or do you only have expertise in one species.... what is your fishkeeping IQ?
I have been into fishkeeping for about 8 years... i am still learning and feel like i always will be... having different species really keeps things broad... so i have not narrowed in on any one species where i can say i have total expertise... my fishkeeping IQ is about a 7.. i have so many areas of fishkeeping to discover yet... i love it... always learning... what about you... ?:D

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
erm, including goldfish 2 years. tropicals only a year.
id say my IQ is 2. i will never need all i need to know.
if i hadnt of found this site i can garuantee u i would b in a mess and spending hundreds down the fish shop on water tests and treatments!
tbh i cant thanks u all enough for teaching me what i know.

THANKS MFK! :headbang2

ProblEmZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2006
Lynnwood, Washington what!
Off and on since 1994, going strong since 2002. Still learning. Keep mostly CA/SA Cichlids, mainly species that can live in my tanks for lifetime, trying to avoid the larger species... for now heh

bigfishrcool1193

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
this summer (end of june) will be two years that i have been in fish keeping. I'm more into freshwater (south american) fish... i have tried saltwater but got bored of it (of course that was only a 10 gal nano tank)... i have alot to learn especially in saltwater fish... most south american fish if you show me a picture i can give you a common name, but there will always be fish in south america that i have no clue what they are...

how's that Liz? :D

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I've only been in this hobby for 46 years so, I'll never know all I need to know. And, while I've had success with certain species, I don't consider myself an "expert" by any means. Hence, my fishkeeping IQ is around Gump level.

Texs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2009
El Paso TX
About a month and a half and I still have a lot to learn...

IQ is probably about a -2 lol...

polish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Ne, IN
www.tankterrors.com
I constantly learn new things, it's what keeps the hobby interesting.

I've been keeping fish for 17 years now, or since I was 9. I went a little bit here and there with no tanks but I've almost always had at least one tank running or more. Then last year is when I got out of race cars and a lot more serious about the fish hobby. Amazing how I thought I was doing everything right in the past, boy was I wrong. I've learned 1000x more in the last year than I did in my first 16 years of fish keeping. Amazing how easy it is to learn when you enjoy something and apply yourself.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
chloe;3108968; said:
erm, including goldfish 2 years. tropicals only a year.
id say my IQ is 2. i will never need all i need to know.
if i hadnt of found this site i can garuantee u i would b in a mess and spending hundreds down the fish shop on water tests and treatments!
tbh i cant thanks u all enough for teaching me what i know.

THANKS MFK! :headbang2
definitly this site {MFK} really made a difference to me... :D

chloe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
portsmouth/southampton/crawley, UK
Red Devil;3109000; said:
definitly this site {MFK} really made a difference to me... :D
i know. to be brutally honest i almost cant live without it lol its like an addiction. i find i log in every morning then leave it on all day even if im out. then im on again in the evenings....yes i know, i could just get a life lol but where ould be the fun in that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store