Amphilophus Xiloaensis ?'s

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
I know a few people here on MFK keep Xilo's so hopefully I can get some help.
Whata the average max size for a male? I'm guessing 8''?
Would a 55G be adequate for a single WC male?
Also I've read there are several different color variations but I cant find pictures of each variant, so if anyone could share that would be awesome.
:D

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
Itsalmosteasy has his in a 75. He had a Red devil in with it one night of the same size.. His is obviously one that is not going to play well with others..... :D

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
What I've been told about xilo's is that they stay slightly smaller, in the 8-10" range...but I've also seen posts by people who have xilo's that are larger. I'm of the opinion that xilo's haven't really been available long enough to determine exactly how large they can grow.

I've also heard that they are less aggressive than others of the red devil complex. In general this may be true, but I happened to get one mean SOB..lol. I got 4 from Rapps a couple months ago. They are currently in the 4-5" range and in a 125 with a similarly sized zonatus and a 10" oscar. One of the xilo's runs the tank. He doesn't really mess with the oscar but is not afraid of it either. He doesn't really bother the zonatus much but again, he's not afraid of it. The other 3 xilo's get chased quite a bit.

Rapps told me when I was emailing him back and forth before the order to decide which Amphilophus to go with that xilo's are closer to citrinellum in that they are more tall bodied, stockier fish. This was the ultimate reason I decided to go wth xilo's. That and Jeff also said they, along with Sags, give the most divergent color patterns in their fry.

:)

toomanyfishes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
motoro ray;3113997; said:
My 8" male F0 Xanthic xilo
Is this the F0 that Rapps had for sale a few months back?
He is absolutely awesome!

I got 4 xilo's F1 from Rapps back in January. They are growing fast and are now about 6" one is still a bit smaller than the others. I am hoping it's a female.
I heard these can grow to 14". We shall see.

As far as temperament I would say they are moderately aggressive. Although they are definately not timid. They can and will hold thier own.
They are in with a much larger male Amph. Red Isleta (9") who definately dominates the tank. Especially since I introduced a female for him to play with.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
I too got one from Rapps-they must be pretty tough fish cause he gave me it for free and said it would do well with the Amarillo, Trimac, and Dovii that I ordered.
In my opinion the one I have has a temperment similar to a Red Devil and I really don't think they stay as small as 8 or even 10 inches-got my on March at around 2 inches and has already doubled in size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store